Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

I Cleaned The Sump Out
it just looks nice clean so I took a pic.

image.jpg

I did as much as I could. I'm still not really meant to lift much. I can manage between 5-10kg for a very short time. My husband had promised he'd help me clean the tank a week ago but it never happened. I finally got him to do it tonight and figured I'd remove the thing I had the skimmer sitting on. I sucked a lot of gunk out of the matrix, what was left of my old miracle mud. It was just a tiny bit of silt. Now I have egg crate under the skimmer and all the compartments are fairly free of crap.

E

ezza

The little stones are Matrix. I changed my methods of attempting nutrient control after removing Miracle Mud which was causing some major problems.

I have had to do what I could over time due to budget and stuff. Now I have added some Marine Pure balls I picked up a litre at a time from Fantasea West Gosford (about $30 for 20 balls). I also threw in some zeolite in a bag. I have basically been slowly trying various methods to see if anything causes a noticeable impact on nutrients. I monitor levels and watch the algae, fish, rocks and coral. At this point I don't know if anything makes that much difference. I am expecting some corals to be added soon. I think they will be the best test. I intend to take something out soonish. I want to see what happens.

One thing... My little battered millepora I keep for my yellow clown goby died after I got it. Recently it showed 3 spots of amazing colour and really held that colour for a long time. I have always had SPS issues, but obviously something has been working.

I stopped dosing lanthanum (I forgot) recently when I shoved a bit of filter floss in the overflow. The skimmer is skimming more effectively while the bigger bits are being removed from the system. @RobbieMVFC , I am grateful every day for the blessing that is that sexy skimmer and all the love that came with it. My system has never been healthier.