Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
How To Fix
image.jpg
Hi. Bought this alverpora. It's not in good condition. Seems like there was missing polyps and algea growing on them. I have tried to remove the algae with tweezers but the growth keeps coming back. I would love suggestions on how to save this coral please ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'd place it where it gets decent, but not super strong flow with high lighting. I'd also try stirring the sand a little but, Goniopora and Alveopora love suspended sediment to feed upon. Sometimes it triggers a feeding response that gets their polyps out. The polyps being out with filtre the light and slow/stop the algal growth.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's generally difficult to get the polyps to extend once it gets to this stage.

If I remember correctly, @Franklin Dattein used some super glue on the exposed skeleton of a scoly to prevent algae growth - might be worth a try?

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
I've got my collection of alveopora at mid tank with fairly strong flow and feed it directly every 1-2 weeks. Had a alveopora disappear to the abys (fallen down) for 2-3 weeks and it's recovered well with strong flow and direct feeding (gonipower, phytplank ...).

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
http://thereefuge.com/threads/scoly-rescue.13239/#post-167294
This is the post @MagicJ mentioned, where I share I bit of my experience on savaging LPSs. However, I never had any luck with Gonis and Alveopora using those methods.

Has it started perishing in your tank? If so, the most important thing is to understand the cause.
It is usually lack of water stability, poor feeding, wrong flow or a combination of all.

If you post your tank parameters, we can provide more informed help. A better photo would also help, I can't tell if the tissue is dissolving or just receded.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
http://thereefuge.com/threads/scoly-rescue.13239/#post-167294
This is the post @MagicJ mentioned, where I share I bit of my experience on savaging LPSs. However, I never had any luck with Gonis and Alveopora using those methods.

Has it started perishing in your tank? If so, the most important thing is to understand the cause.
It is usually lack of water stability, poor feeding, wrong flow or a combination of all.

If you post your tank parameters, we can provide more informed help. A better photo would also help, I can't tell if the tissue is dissolving or just receded.
Tank parameters.
Sal 1.026
Mag 1280
Alk 8.3
Cal 420
Nitrate 0.00-0.02
Phos 0.03
We actually bought him that way(although not as bad) I sort of make a habit of trying to save sad corals :). Just never done it with one this bad.
He had missing polyps and dead holes. GHA was growing on these patches when purchase. I removed what I could before putting in our tank with tweezers & coral dipped in Seahcem Coral Dip before putting into DT.

Still had dead holes but appeared all GHA ( visually) was gone. Within 2 weeks of being in tank some form of algae (doesn't look like GHA ) started covering the dead patches.

But coral was still opening and had good extension.
Then she stopped opening & the algae started growing over the healthy polyps. I tried again to remove the algae but it came back, even worse.
I have no algae anywhere else int he tank and keep my nutrients very low. (people will tell you I have an algea phobia, & I probably do )
I use Seachem trace and seachem Plus as directed on the bottle and dose additional amino's. As I am aware that low nutrients are not good for most LPS.

Its seems that the brown is now starting to cover the (what were) healthy polyps.
So I would say receding is probably the answer to that question.

My husband suggestion was to actually frag the coral ? Keeping the healthy portions and totally removing the growth ?
Thoughts ?

I have a heavily LPS dominated tank with a couple of SPS. all other corals doing really well.
Just really want to save this one as a white corals is very unusual and its very attractive when opening and healthy.

Wondering if while you trying to help you may be able to ID this corals.
I dont think its a goni or an alverpora, althought the flowers are very similar to both.
Its has a skeleton like a Duncan (sort of branching). Never seen one since buying this one (again not looking great at time of purchase)
If you could ID I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. any advice greatly appreciated.
IMG_3785.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@Lesley you are very noble purchasing those sad corals in LFS.:worship

The LFS people should be those that are doing it. For most LFS, it's about money, money and money but at the same time, I don't blame them for it.

Back to the topic, I will also be interested in knowing how you go with this coral.

I got a Goniopora which lost love touch few months back and a red morph was attached to it and ever since that, the Gonio has shrunk immensely. I am in the mission of resurrecting this Goni (although it was my mistake to start with). It has yet to extend its tentacles but I can see the polyps there but they're just not extended. I won't lose hope and keep it there. One day ... one day.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That coral pictured is an Alveopora Lesley, they look more like a daisy with their short stubby tentacle ends than the Gonioporas do. Gonioporas are more elongated than an Alveopora for the most part.

Move that mushroom ASAP potatocouch, yesterday was too late. They have a nasty sting and they secrete poisons to keep other corals at bay when they sense there's one close.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
I'm like you Leslie, I often rescue cheap, sick corals from Mentone Aquarium. Although last time I was there, every coral tank was infested with aipstasia so I haven't been back for a year or so.