Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
How To Feed Snails ?
HI,
Since using Nopox and having very very little algae my snails seem to be struggling to find food.
The stroms are starting to try and climb the rocks to eat and even then there is not much for them. I have tried sinking algae pellets but the dam tangs are too quick and they never get to have them. Even after lights out I watch the tangs take it away. I have even got large tweezers and placed it right in front of the stroms and 2 sec later the tangs have stolen it.
I have other triangle shelled snails that I am every couple of days placing in the sump and they are getting a feed then get put back in the display, luckily they have different markings on there shells so I can swap them out and no one misses out.
But the stroms are a real problem ?
Thanks

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Not sure in you tank size but would recommend to decrease the number of storms so the natural food source can I sustain the remaining Strombs. Its a balancing act and you need to find the point at which everything is happy.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Not sure in you tank size but would recommend to decrease the number of storms so the natural food source can I sustain the remaining Strombs. Its a balancing act and you need to find the point at which everything is happy.
We have a 1000lt tank nearly 7 foot. With. 7 stroms do u think that's too many? Should we get rid of some ? Also have an abolone should we let him live in sump ??

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I had one abalone and two strombs in my tank in a 3fter and I had to remove the two strombs. The abalone gets supplemental feeding from nori to keep up. 7 sounds like too many if you don't have any algae growth!

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
We have a 1000lt tank nearly 7 foot. With. 7 stroms do u think that's too many? Should we get rid of some ? Also have an abolone should we let him live in sump ??
Unfortunately there isn't really any formula however peoples experience would be your best option. As far as my opinion goes, the Ab and Stromb serve different purposes so I'd keep both since you already have them. RE the number of strombs, I have 2 in 600L. Oh also if you don't mind feeding them and prefer to have more rather than less hide food in the sand bed and strombs will find it.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Unfortunately there isn't really any formula however peoples experience would be your best option. As far as my opinion goes, the Ab and Stromb serve different purposes so I'd keep both since you already have them. RE the number of strombs, I have 2 in 600L. Oh also if you don't mind feeding them and prefer to have more rather than less hide food in the sand bed and strombs will find it.
That's a great a idea. Hiding in Sand. Hadn't thought if that one. Thanks.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
What are your levels like? If your tank can't grow diatom then the corals can't feed either

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
What are your levels like? If your tank can't grow diatom then the corals can't feed either
As you can see the corals are all thriving, as per Nopox instructions Reef energy A & B 5 x week and target feed 2 x week.
Growth and colour is great, only trouble I am having is lack of algae to feed cuc.
Nitrate 0.01 Phos 0.02

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Looks good, another option @Lesley is to manage your dose. Slightly reduce Nopox to reduce its effectiveness which will intern allow slightly more algae which your CUC will manage.

Also: Not that its a bad thing but the levels you quoted are exemplary for your/a LPS aquarium, you do have a fair margin to play with elevating those levels and still being well with range for your aquarium. PS.. hope you don't mind but I cut and shut you pic and removed the colour cast to show its true colours. Nice Tank

image-1.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You what & u what. ?? How did u do that ? Please dome tips on tank photography would be greatly appreciated !! I have never taken a decent full tank shot because it's a. 7 foot tank and I can never fit it in. What is your secret please. ?? Thanks for suggestion re lowering nopox dose to allow some algae growth. I will try that for a while ! I only do water changes ever 6-8 weeks. If all parameters are ok is that ok to do. ? I do 250 lt ? Only been doing this for 12 months so still learning and appreciate any advice given. Thanks !

Last edited:

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
lol, just a little photoshopping, I basically stuck your photos together and corrected the colour. There are many application like photoshop that help do this, just a matter of having a play with them. No real secret, To be honest what you have said, what you tank looks like and what you plan to do suggest you have a good grasp of good husbandry. many may suggest that you water change period isn't frequent enough but your results speak for them selves. do as you've stated and if you run into any issues just increase your water changes a few time and that will balancing it out again. :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
lol, just a little photoshopping, I basically stuck your photos together and corrected the colour. There are many application like photoshop that help do this, just a matter of having a play with them. No real secret, To be honest what you have said, what you tank looks like and what you plan to do suggest you have a good grasp of good husbandry. many may suggest that you water change period isn't frequent enough but your results speak for them selves. do as you've stated and if you run into any issues just increase your water changes a few time and that will balancing it out again. :)
Thank you for the lovely comments. I learn something new every day and know there is so much more to learn. It will take years.
Thanks you .

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Those levels will be fine for your corals and cuc, if you have no visable algae at those levels it sounds like you have adequate numbers, your snails will self regulate from there on in.