Off-Topic

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
How not to use a camera
I had a go at trying to take some new pictures of my fish.I changed a few things,but still dont know what the heck im doing lol.Anyway this is what ive taken so far that are viewable.
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030134.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030139.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030140.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030141.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030142.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030148.jpg
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030145.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030149.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030150.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030153.jpg

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_P1030155.jpg

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
What camera are u using? That is an amazing trigger fish!!
Its a Olympus 550UZ.Ive had it for a while now the camera but havent really worked out how to use it.I just set it to auto and take a picture.I bought it to take macro shots of my other animals (reptiles).They are easy to take pics of as they stay still ten hours a day lol.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I have had a Fuji FinePix S9500 for a while (never been really happy with it - way too much noise). It doesn't do a very good job on tank photos. Surprisingly, a little Canon IXUS 850 IS I have kills it on macro shots in the tank.
I was going to lash out and buy a Nikon D7000 recently (need it for my web business) but went and got a reef tank instead. :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Matman - the camera was set to Shutter Priority mode not Automatic so you are on the right track. But, the picture was taken at 1/80 sec - you want to get this up around 1/120 sec.

I suspect your colour balance is out as well

Compare this to your last photo

P1030155-2.jpg

All I have done is adjusted the white balance. You should be able to adjust for this in camera - I will have a look at the manual tomorrow and see if we can point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
How the heck do you know that lol.Yes I was playing around with that,it kept going blue when I tried to focus it at 120,so I went to 80.I'll try again tomorrow and work out how to adjust the white balance.I really need a tripod as my arms were killing me lol.Thanks for the help.Know if I can just get a pic of my six line wrasse ill be happy.

Matman

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
I have had a Fuji FinePix S9500 for a while (never been really happy with it - way too much noise). It doesn't do a very good job on tank photos. Surprisingly, a little Canon IXUS 850 IS I have kills it on macro shots in the tank.
I was going to lash out and buy a Nikon D7000 recently (need it for my web business) but went and got a reef tank instead. :rolleyes
My camera takes awesome macro shots,I even bought some screw on lenses for it which magnify a ant lol.I'll take some pics with them tomorrow of some coral if I can and post them here.

Matman

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How the heck do you know that lol.
I could tell from the movement in the goni ;)

Or, I could look at the EXIF data (Exchangeable Image File) that is stored with each photo - it stores information about the camera and the settings used to take the picture.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
We ne
I could tell from the movement in the goni ;)

Or, I could look at the EXIF data (Exchangeable Image File) that is stored with each photo - it stores information about the camera and the settings used to take the picture.
There you go .So what did I have for lunch lol.Ill be away till monday im going camping,then ive got a job interview tuesday.Freaking out a bit.

They are some great shots for the level of light in there.. i ALWAYS have trouble with light.. and therefore shutter speed vs f stop settings..

ive been playing with remote flash guns (speedlights etc) but not winning.. im going to play with shutter priority setting next time.. that looks like a winner..

i still love my macro extension tubes though.. :) reduces the field of view to about 5mm (the area thats in focus from the front to the back of the pic) but works well if you get it on a good spot. :)

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
They are some great shots for the level of light in there.. i ALWAYS have trouble with light.. and therefore shutter speed vs f stop settings..

ive been playing with remote flash guns (speedlights etc) but not winning.. im going to play with shutter priority setting next time.. that looks like a winner..

i still love my macro extension tubes though.. :) reduces the field of view to about 5mm (the area thats in focus from the front to the back of the pic) but works well if you get it on a good spot. :)
Yes I love my macro lenses.It's pointless having a flash as its so close lol.I have some lenses that screw into the front of it and they have different colour filters,which give a nice effect.

Matman

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Flash can be a really good tool for macro.

There are ring type flashes that assist greatly in adding light.

Normally the on-camera flash is fairly limited in its use. If you can diffuse it or bounce it then you open yourself to many more lighting options.

no no no.. remote off camera speed lights.. they are great.. i can have it above firing downwards.. underneath firing 45 deg upwards.. off too the side of the tank giving light source from the side.. i can put a colour over the flash.. and its wirelessly fired by the mount on the top of my camera body...

not talking about the on camera flash.. i very rarely use that nowdays.. especially now that i have two external flashes.. a chinese one and a true sony one that talks to the camera and is fully automatic. :)