Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
How much do you trust cured live rock?
Okay, so I purchased some live rock at the LFS and the guy said that it should be good to go with fish. Now, does anyone here think that there may be a small cycle?

I really need to get the fish into the tank, but if there will be a cycle I will need to keep them in the other tank, which has no live rock at all.

Thanks.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
there is alway going to be a cycle whenever you introduce something into your tank. The "cycle" comes about because of a lag in the usefull number of bacteria in relation to the level of stocking. That being said, a "cycle" event may go relatively un-noticed. Alternatively, it may result in the death of all livestock. Some marine species are much more resilient to elevelataed levels associaed with the cycling process (e.g. Damsels), however, in my opinion, cycling should be done without fish, as the fish will suffer un-nesessarily. You can add the liquid microbs (I forget the brand names) to help the useful bacteria keep pace with the bioload. This may be one way to add your and minimise the lenght of the cycle.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
in your size tank its a risk. there will most likely be a form of cycle, can you put the rock in and add the fish 1-3 weeks later?

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Nope, had no choice dude. I added the rocks last week and put the fish straight in. It was either that or they died. Everything is looking healthy in the small tank now, and it actually looks alright. I am going to buy some more LR today to put in the edge for a few weeks.

I will put up some pics later.