Reef Discussion

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
How long to have Lights on sump
1. How many people use lights on there mini reef , If so what the reasons for use of the lights?

2. How long do you have the lights on for?

3 what time do you put the moon lights on the tank?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'll cover lighting on my nano given the 4x2 isn't lit properly yet.

1. - Why? Because corals need light. The fish don't mind a bit either.

2. Cycle covers 1pm to 9.30pm.
Blues come on over an hour, and fade over same time.
Whites come on about an hour after the whites and fade over 45 minutes. They fade over 45 minutes at around 8pm.
I like the idea of having blue fade on, and finally fade out the cycle. Gives a late night effect before the lot cut out, and visually changes the look and feel of the tank once it's down to just blues.

3. I don't use a moonlight. Debate exists as to whether they're too bright and whether this adversely effects fish. I used one on the nano for a while and found that my zoanthids never closed up, though it was probably a lot of moonlight for one little tank. The room probably gets enough ambient light outside of the cycle to work as a moonlight anyway.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
when i mean mini reef , i mean the sump, some people call it mini reef and some call it a sump. and i am wondering if there should be lights on this sump or not

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
1. How many people use lights on their sump (fixed spelling and wording) , If so, what are the reasons for the use of the lights?​
- To grow Macro.
2. How long do you have the lights on for?​
- 8 hours per day
3 what time do you put the moon lights on the tank?​
- when the main lights turn off. I like the look of it, you dont really need them thats for sure.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
when i mean mini reef , i mean the sump, some people call it mini reef and some call it a sump. and i am wondering if there should be lights on this sump or not
That clarifies. It's a silly term though. Technically a reef tank is a mini reef. A sump is a sump. That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone call a sump that.
In that case, no, because I don't have any macro at the moment.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
mini reef as a term for a sump comes from the old days with spinning arms and bio balls, they were called mini reef sumps, no idea why though they called them that.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
No point lighting your sump , If your not growing Macro ,
Mind you, i used to grow macro ,and I kept the light down there , But now i only turn it on When im working on the sump

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
No point lighting your sump , If your not growing Macro ,
Mind you, i used to grow macro ,and I kept the light down there , But now i only turn it on When I'm working on the sump
Most people would have some live rock in their sump, would it not pay to light the sump for the reason of Coraline, pods & bacteria growth? :)

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Most people would have some live rock in their sump, would it not pay to light the sump for the reason of Coraline, pods & bacteria growth? :)
Coralline isn't particularly desirable as a means of nutrient sequester, and the others are not photosynthetic to require light. In fact, good portion of pods/other beneficial critters are nocturnal so a diurnal cycle hinders their spread. If the tank is already getting a stable diurnal cycle and has rock in it, there's no real need to mimic this in another segment of the system.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
In Fact , there can be some added benefits of an unlit sump Cryptic style ,
you could grow sponges as an added water filtration method
Now that i have gone away from macro , im just about to give this a try .
It may or may not be as good as macro , But it is different , Macro wasn't growing in my sump anyway so for me its worth a try

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I run my sump light 24/7 doesnt algae spawn during the night which can cause macro to sprout in your dt ?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I dont have macro to worry about , Some people run it 24/7
I used a reverse light cycle to the display ,

macro going sexual Can still happen on a 24/7 light cycle , It may be less common tho ,
It also depends on what type of macro your growing , Some CAULERPA are well known for going this way , While other Caulerpa are a bit more stable
you can also try regular heavy pruning , others may be able to help more

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Ah, so I'm lighting my sump for my benefit other then the section with the weed in it. I always figured it would help everything in the sump.
Cryptic sump? is that where the sump is fully enclosed & always keep dark? I have seen / heard of systems like that & thought it pretty cool what critters would grow in that situation. :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
who calls a sump a mini reef??? :confused:
Thread Title edited so people can understand.