Reef Discussion

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
How do you sex Strombs
Hoping the good doc willl see this-how do you sex strombs?

Also my turbos have bred++++. does the tank eventually reach a plateau re this or will they all die eventually from starvation?

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
how do you sex strombs?

Also my turbos have bred++++

Sorry, that sounds REALLY funny. Like.... the turbos are so quick they got the job done...

Sorry... back on topic.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
i just want to know how because of curiosity- I would never keep a pair anyway in my size tank

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the strombs can be sexed by looking for a cleft that runs down the front right hand side of the foot (females). Males lack this cleft. Also, if you put male and female together, they will almost certianly mate instantly. Male mounts the female from gehind and holds her down by sticking his foot onto the rear end of her shell. Eggs are laid in the sand bed during the mating process and they will cause the sand particles to stick together. I have not sucessfully managed to raise the larvae to metamorphosis (there is a pelagic larval phase which makes strombs very difficult to raise in captivity).

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks Chris- I knew you'd know!:D I bet we're all going to be running to our tanks now and checking our strombs out!