Reef Discussion

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
How do I get rid of this it's driving me crazy
Hey guys, I've had this algae on my sand bed for ages I got rid of it ages ago but it has come back recently I've removed it by hand every 2 weeks but keeps coming back my phosphates is almost at 0 it sits around 0.02 or some shit. Any ideas I'm running rowaphos at the moment aswell.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353232086.198409.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353232098.714444.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Looks like hair algae. I would increase the water flow on the sand bed. If you have phosphate built up in your sand it can take a while (months) for the rowaphos and water changes to get rid of it. Even if your phosphate reading is low it could just mean that the algae is feeding off it and thats why its not showing on the reading.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
There is good water flow where it is, that's what I don't get I have changed the flow so there is more there. Ffs :( it just looks shit lol.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
What is your water flow? Agree with Buddy, increasing water flow often helps and water changes are essential - even though its a pain, do your water changes more frequently for a few weeks and see if that helps. Suction any detritus off your rocks and do a big water change to start with. I use a makeup brush to dust off the rocks. That will give the tank a bit of a spring clean and will export a decent amount of any sediment/wastes that you don't normally get to.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Haha make up brush that's not a bad idea, but yeh they will think I'm a cross dresser or something haha, I do a water change at least every 2 weeks and a rodi top up each week almost, but I have good flow down there the first photo I think with the hammer has heaps of flow, the second photo with the elegance in it is fairly strong to that's what I don't understand :(

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
You only top up weekly if not longer? Your salinity must swing like crazy. Not that it's likely to contribute to the hair algae but the other corals and fish could be affected.

If you really want to get on top of the hair algae, need to step up teh water changes to weekly at least. This is the root of your issues.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Nah my salinity isn't that bad actually, supprisingly, I did do weekly water changes only last 2 weeks that I haven't done weekly, this weekend coming I'm doing alot of work on it so another one will be done then

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Could be worse, a makeup brush and panty hose...........................brush for algae/debris and hose for carbon or other chemical of course.

DgrMouse

Oct 30, 2012
Raise ALK to 10+ or therer abouts and raise ph to 8.5... should destroy that sucker nicely... along with phos remover and good husbandry skills :cool:

DgrMouse

Oct 30, 2012
I have a real bad GHA problem in my seahorse breeding tank.. I read this from several sources and thought I might give it a go... working so far... 5 days in and no real problems.... except for more seahorse births
I am taking it real slow adjusting alk first, and withthat, the ph sould stabilise quite nicely.. along with dosing Algaefix its working a treat at the moment...