Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
How Do I Get Him Out?
How do I get this Wrasse out from the overflow box?

I don't have much room to play with; the fish net is just way too big.

ai61.tinypic.com_20hrasg.jpg

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Do I cut off the return and then siphon out the water in the overflow box and then hand catch it?

What is the safest way of getting the guy?

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
He won't die tonight, leave him there and buy a smaller net tomorrow?

Cut some egg crate to fit, place it in at a angle under the fish a raise it up till you can pick up the fish.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Problem mitigated! no unscrewing nor vacuuming required (actually, this is not what I wanted .. the moment he goes to the Sump, it is more trouble for me).

What you need a tiny hand of a woman (or man).

Step by step:
  1. Cut off return pump.
  2. Siphon out water from overflow box (leaving enough water for him to swim in).
  3. Tiny hand goes in and catch and return to display.
Thanks for all the feedbacks! much appreciated.

ai59.tinypic.com_rr0gaa.jpg

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Fill a strong plastic bag (LFS fish bag) with some sand and lower it in to the bottom and leave the top open. Attach string to the top of the bag. Let the opening of the bag sink down, but ensure the opening stays open. Wait until the fish enters and then pull the string up. It will end up in there, just takes time.

You might even put enough sand in there that the wrasse dives into the sand.

This is what I use to do when I had many electric yellows (freshwater cichlids) to catch - I would place a clear plastic bag into the tank and weight it down with small rocks so that the open was kept open. The fish would inevitably swim into it and I then pull the bag up.

You can use a stick to herd it into the bag if you want it out faster.

Last edited: