Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
How and what to feed CBS
Can anyone help with advice on feeding a coral banded shrimp
Basically what to feed and how to feed.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I pretty much leave mine to look after itself - it gets a bit when I feed the fish, especially frozen food, and occassionally (once a month) I give him a piece of prawn etc.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
That's what I thought but one of my pair died last night and thought I should check

Only a couple of days ago a bit of prawn I was feeding BTA drifted in their cave so I assume they ate that

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How lond had you had them Sven? Are you sure they were a pair?

I bought a pair a few months ago but was a bit suspicious when they arrived in seperate bags - my understanding is that they should be transported in the same bag.
The first night one killed the other one :mad:I am still not convinced that they were a mated pair.

im going to put this out there... def not mated pairs.

Since i restarted my tank i havnt gotton myself another coral banded but i used to just broadcast feed a large zooplankton once a week. i also broadcast feed my fish and coral with a medium zooplankton twice a week

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
What would you expect to pay for a mated pair of CBS? Just a rough figure as I would love a pair one day and want to find the right price as I have seen some highly varied prices on a lot of marine livestock in my LFS's

Edit: sorry for the :hijack

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Guess what? It wasn't my CBS that died.

Look at my earlier posts and I said my CBS had died....well it didn't.

I was looking at the tank late last night and yes there's the CBS and yes there's the CBS...hey wait...yes definitely two.

I thought I was going crazy!

Anyway what must have happened was when I got my BTA I got it on a piece of rock.....rock must have had a hitch hiker!

When I think back when I pulled the dead "CBS" out I didn't take that close a look I was so p'ed off so it must have been a similar size mantis shrimp or something similar!!

Anyway, all's well that ends well and just shows what CBS can do!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Good outcome, but I think the 'reason' might be different. It looks like your CBS has molted - they will do this on a regular basis as they grow but it can be a bit unsettling when it happens to you for the first time.
I well remember when this happened to me for the first time ;)

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Duh...I feel like such an idiot....Now that I think about it there wasn't any real guts

:cry so dumb...thanks for pointing that out to me

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No problems mate.

It's very easy to think that the worst has happened. Whenever I see a molt I quickly have a look for my CBS to make sure it is still OK.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I wish I had noticed instead of making a dumb post....they hide very well during the day and one only was out everytime I looked..

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
They are great scavengers.... Make sure you feed them food fit for human consumption though eg prawn scallop.
Or risk poisoning them........They are cool tank mates, I kept many over the years, however found true cleaner shrimp easier to keep.