Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidg

Jul 16, 2011
Brisbane
Hi reefuge folk
Very cool guys, a competitor to the (forum of opinions and disorders) you know the one!

It’s bit sad about that site, well sought of, it got on the net in a way early and grabbed some coverage and power, and as anyone knows, power corrupts and forces out common sense, oh well, it’s more or less run by shops anyway.

They tried to get the A & T into the set up they were building in the late 90s and we said, yeah sure, can we put our club on your net site as a part of the over all clubs thing they were building, the answer was, their way or nothing!

No one in the club back than, that would do any club work, had any idea of the internet, so the club went on it’s way and the net passed it by, so with some club infighting, it took on the net, not that long ago either, in the cheapest way of course,lol.

Our club forum is mainly to promote the aandtsociety, that’s part of our domain name, its really (The Aquarium and Terrarium Society of Queensland) as are the portions of the clubs collecting trips spread around, to promote the club.

It’s a shame there are no pics from back when the club had first formed, the club has been doing fresh and salt water collecting trips since the 1920s,formed in 26 or 27,I forget.

There are no other clubs we have found on the net and we have looked very closely, that carry out affective collecting trips, except one in the states we text to that carry out collecting trips in the Caribbean, they are just a small group of people though.

The (forum of opinions and disorders) has tried, mainly in the Q branch, but the types with in the over all group appear to cancel out any reasonable success at that type of thing anyway.

I used to text to the pres of the Q branch a ways back before the disorders on that site became overly apparent, before stripeses dad took over from him.

Anyhow, if it does not go against what your forum represents, we will put on here a bit on our trips to promote the club from time to time.

It’s up to you.

Personally I have been keeping and collecting marines since I got my first tank at xmas 1980 and started collecting for my brothers marine tank in 79.

He did his dive course a year before me in 69 and got me into marines watching his tank, as big brothers have their younger brothers follow them normally.

The members with in the aandtsociety are a mish mash of old school and the current boutique style aquariums, one of our members is so into his it has cost over forty thousand in the first year to set up, he can claim his on tax.

Personally I like to update with current lighting and electrical gear, but I use a natural system and always make my own stuff, tanks, scrubbers, reactors, bio filters,skimmers as such and not just because I am cheap,lol.

I went away from skimmers a long time ago when the mucking around on designing of my scrubber improved to cancel them out for my needs.

We got a shipment of cree 3watt LED fittings for our members, high output LED bulbs to replace metal haloids and T8 sized LED tubes last week, that will kick my scrubber up a gear, now that’s brilliant simplistic tech,that’s my style for sure, love the LEDs!

That’s all from me guys, sorry I rave on a bit.

Regards,liquidg aandtsociety worker.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello liquidg,

Please feel free to use these forums to post photos and messages, and anything else you wish. I will move this thread to Off Topic as it belongs in there. Welcome to The Reefuge, and we hope you enjoy it here.

Thank you.

liquidg

Jul 16, 2011
Brisbane
This may sound bad, but over the years I have had unlimited aquarium life forms to conduct my own analyses on what responds to what, in both positive and negative ways.

Needless to say, not every thing survived those water condition experiments for a greater understanding of what works well and what doesn’t!

We have tried the boutique style of aquarium keeping in the eighties to try to compact and simplify marine aquarium keeping.

There wasn’t the back up substances or devices to support aquarium keeping as there are now, but really nothing has changed greatly.

Salt water still reacts the same, conditions and water contents still positively or adversely affect aquarium health out comes as it has always been.

The testing gear, though basic a while back compared to now, was used most of the time.

Personally I haven’t purchased a test kit in many years, though one of our members from around 6 years back had every test you can imagine and wanted to see what the natural system achieves before he set up his two big tanks.

Needless to say the KH was constant, that’s a biggy!PH constant as well,0 nitrates,nitrites,ammonia,sulpher,phosphate and so on.

The problem with basing your aquarium needs on what the ocean achieves, which is an extensive natural system, takes a lot of room!!

One of our members that is one of their Q club members had seen so much garbage from (the forum of opinions and disorders) on supposedly useless old school forms of bio filtering, that he was amazed when he saw behind the scenes at sea world, there it was a massive old school dry section set up.

These are the godsend to aquarium simplistic keeping, they can be made with a coke bottle if desperate for some cascaded water, nothing stabilisers gas exchange like them as they repair carbon dioxide imbalances that affects your PH especially after the lights go out and the algae produces co2 and not oxygen.

That’s why the scrubber is set to be on a few hours before the lights in the tank go off and go off a few hours after the lights in the aquarium go on.

Plus if you position a denitrating wet section after the algae scrubber, when the lights go off the produced co2 dissolves miro amounts of the coralline based media( I call rollers) in there for calcium,strontium,spot on KH and so on.

Some try to tell you a protein skimmer creates the same affects and more as a dry section, if the protein skimmer is working very badly it may do a little of what a dry section does, but the bubbles are supposed to remain suspended in the water for as long as possible to attract substances to coat the bubbles outer area and carry it up wards pushing the rubbish into the cup, this action cuts out nearly all the essential gas exchange in the water that the bubbles may have achieved.

When I mention a natural system, it’s not a small set up, it’s not for every one, but it is the best for those that are not knowledgeable on aquarium keeping as it keeps the water spot on not matter what and if done big enough and taking into consideration all that can go wrong, it eliminates water changes permanently!

Oh there is the most important thing of all that has always ruined many an aquariums simplistic success, high standard pre filtering, with out this, you are wasting your time and money on aquarium keeping, whether it shows in one month or four years, it will show.

See I raved on to much again, see you guys later, we will put on a few trip pics in time to promote the club.

liquidg

Jul 16, 2011
Brisbane
One of your member’s suggested the aandtsociety put on this forum some of our marine fish and invert collecting trip stuff, do you want it or not and if you do, than where on your forum.

We put a few pics of what is collected and some underwater pics and a little of those adventures on some forums as a thread sought of once a month, excluding the opinions and disorders site, of course.

It’s up to you, I will be grabbing a couple of pics and wording from our trips to put around the place to promote the club very soon as usual, if you want to be included, fine,if not that’s fine as well!

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello liquidg,

Please feel free to post photos in our photo forum.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
Hi LiquidG,

Long time no see. I love your copy and paste that you are spreading over forums where ever you can find them. To be honest, I would have thought you would have moved on by now in regards to the website you refer too.

Are you guys still using out dated methods for reef tanks? While the old coral rubble filter was effective for fish, it has been found wanting in it's ability for keeping harder corals such as SPS. I know you wont like to hear this, but there is even further advances in filtration now, dosing! I wont get into that here though.

Over at the site of those who know what they are doing, they welcome all manner of people in this industry. It is actually part of their mission statement. So while you go along merrily banning people from your boards ECT keep in mind they do their best to bring the hobby together.

So please don't let reefing technology pass you by like you did in the 90's with the Internet.

Reactions: MTG

liquidg

Jul 16, 2011
Brisbane
They certainly do represent more interesting technology and labour saving equipment in a way for aquariums with the dosing, as always lots of new reef aquarium gear for us hobbyists to purchase.

A couple of the guys have them and it’s cool that they do, each to their own, not all forms of aquarium keeping are for every one, as is my love for hard work in building my own, coupled with just a little of up to date technology and additives that are of use to me.

I enjoy making most things myself and feeling the sense of achievement at success with the marine life forms I favour, especially getting some reasonably priced cree diodes to help avoid the over the top power bills and heat of the metal haloids.

The advancements in lighting are of a big help in not just saving on electricity bills either!

The rest of most assistance purchased by hobbyists for their reef aquariums is up to the individual, some need all the help they can get and some just like fiddling with the tank or buying new gear, that’s cool for them, a large chunk of hobbyists don’t stay in the hobby for very long anyway.

It’s good that you are so up to date with what’s for sale rusty1, shopping is a skill not all can master!

The shop site you are from needs more like you, who am I kidding that’s already been achieved!

Keep on keeping on rusty, this wonderful life would be boring with out the likes of such an astute ---- ---- .;)

See yah.:D

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
Sorry, wrong again LiquidG. I am from no shop site. Not sure what you are referring to there.

Me personally, not convinced on the whole LED thing yet. I know it saves some cooling expenses, but it would increase heating expenses! MH is still my favourite. Got to have the shimmer!!!!

Cant stop with the name calling, really is such a shame!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Guys, do you really need to grandstand in-front of the entire forum? This is supposed to be about fish-keeping and not about political crud. I suggest you to sort it out elswhere!

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Both of you are welcome to take this argument out using the systems private message feature.

Reactions: MTG

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I did request removal guys which was deemed unecessary, surly we are entitled to a right of reply then?
You were the last one to post, so you have replied. I do not see why you would request that when you have already replied.

Please take the rest of this out on private messages, it has no business on these forums, and quite frankly I am getting sick of people coming over here and finding every tiny little thing to complain about for the sake of trying to make this site look bad. When I start doing that to your site, then you can start doing it to mine.

You have received a private message from me. If you can be so courteous as to read it I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.