Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hermit Crab Rampage
I am not sure if it was these guys, but there is nothing else in the tank to do what happened.

I get home today, look in the tank. Wow! One of the snails is missing from his shell, I have no idea where he is. Then, there are small parts of what seems to be an arm of a starfish. At least 10 pieces ranging from 1 - 15mm in length.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have no idea to tell you the truth... they are really small.
The tank is tiny, and the rocks are even smaller. The shrimp would have to be no bigger than 10mm to hide so well. I have not seen anything either. How do I confirm it is a mantis?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
If you hear a clicking you have either a mantis or a pistol shrimp. Baby mantis are very small and can fit into small holes. That said, a mantis would take out the hermits

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Have not heard any clicking at all. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Both the hermits look okay, no injury or anything. One snail is completely gone, only his shell remains.
So you don't think the hermits would do such a thing?

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Water quality is fine. Don't know about bristle worms, I have not seen anything, although there MAY be some in the new LR I purchased. If there is, they would only be very small.

Currently there are 3 starfish, a sea cucumber, 2 nudibranch's, a clown fish, a bicolour blenny, 2 hermit crabs, and a snail.

Hope this is enough info doc :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
What nudibranchs- hard to keep as they are often specalist feeders. At night when the lights have been off, took in your tank with aflashlight. If bristle worms are an issue, you will see them

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I don't agree with this doc. The only time a bristle worm will attack s fish or invert is when they are either sick or dieing. I have one that is 50cms long in my display and he comes out to feed with the fish sometimes, the only time I have ever seen them attack a fish is when i had a fish that was slowly dieing (it was a new fish)
Other then the large one at night I can count hundreds!!

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I just check in the Edge. There seems to be a TINY little pistol shrimp living in it. Would a pistol shrimp do something like this to the starfish?

Everything else is fine. The hermits are fine, fish are fine, coral is fine. Just the poor starfish seem to be getting attacked.