News

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I have no idea as to a solution but I reckon half the TJ's I begin to read are full of missing images. Maybe not allow external image links next time around?

E

ezza

I go on them and try to get people to join here. Some of the advice on facebook is so bad.

There's one 15yo aussie kid that runs a facebook and a youtube advice channel.

In a recent post he said (and I quote near enough) "I finally worked out what's wrong woth my 40 gal. I realised that you need to do water changes"

:cumo_0
:deado_0:D:rofl

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I go on them and try to get people to join here. Some of the advice on facebook is so bad.

There's one 15yo aussie kid that runs a facebook and a youtube advice channel.

In a recent post he said (and I quote near enough) "I finally worked out what's wrong woth my 40 gal. I realised that you need to do water changes"

:cumo_0
More than a few groups on Facebook have been started by people who have absolutely no clue what they're doing for no other reason than them being too lazy to even search Facebook for groups that already exist, and much prefer people join "their" group to help them. This frustrates the hell out of me because if they can't be bothered to search for FB groups, they probably won't do actual research in this hobby.

Inevitably, they wind up with a clueless admin and a whole heap of newbies joining who lack the knowledge to realise how bad the information in the group is. Ultimately, the clueless lead the clueless, and the best you can hope for is a couple of reasonably smart individuals join who take the time to do research and understand rather than just decide the only "correct" way is whatever way has "worked" for them in the 3 months they've been running a fully stocked system.

Of course, when you look at the behaviour of some of the more experienced folks on the better groups, they're not exactly newbie friendly, and it's not hard to see why they wouldn't join some of the better established groups.

reef_newbie

Feb 23, 2016
Only just seeing this now. I am not active on here at the moment but the main thing I signed up here for was the tank journals.

I recently lost everything in my Aquarimate app (didn't have it backed up) and the only record of our timeline, aside from photos, is here.

Being honest, I do find if I have a specific question where I am looking for a quick and immediate response, I will post on a facebook group. But for more topic discussion or a more complex question, I would love to continue to use the forum.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Something I would love to see is being able to edit your own post over the long term.

It doesn't make much difference for a couple of lines but In my old TJ I gave up on them as I couldn't seem to update the initial setup details, equip etc. Also I wrote some extensive DIY's back then and I've now improved upon my methods. If I could go back and add/edit those things I would still be doing DIY articles..