New To Reefing

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Help Please #whathavewedonewrong
Everything is getting a brown algae type growing on it. I don't know what we have done wrong. Salt is in the acceptable range on the hydrometer, ph is between 8.0-8.2 and the 'Ammonia alert' is still in the safe zone.
Any advice is greatly appreciated
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2418.JPG

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
How long has the tank been setup?
Looks like it is the type of algae that shows up during a cycle

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
How long has the tank been setup?
Looks like it is the type of algae that shows up during a cycle
Hi,
We are about two and a half weeks in, it's taking over everything Please tell me I'm freaking out about nothing.
I tried google but I'm not 100%

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Bud you are freaking out about nothing .. I am an absolute noob myself but consider whats the worse that can happen at 2 weeks in before freaking out. Worst case scenario a 100% water change should fix your issues..best case scenario .. tomorrow it goes away. You are more than likely in between the two. From the pics it doesnt look like brown algae ..looks like the begining of hair algae which would be very normal ..anyways dude I am sure someone more knowledgeable will post something more helpful ..mean while Id post some more details if I was you like readings the first week.. live rock or dead rock...kind of water..kind of lights ..any ghost feeding

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Welcome to the cycle starting. You're gonna see it get a fair bit uglier before it settles down. The cycle really takes a couple of months to complete, and even then, things like this can take a while to settle down afterwards. No point making rash decisions like major water changes or anything silly like that, or you're just going to prolong the whole thing. It's doing what its supposed to.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I would forget about doing any water change, let things take their course.
It's very beneficial to grow a population of bacteria by adding a pinch of food into the tank every three to four days.
Over the next couple of weeks your gravel will become alive and home to good bacteria.
The water will go cloudy soon and will clear up over a week, your skimmer might go crazy as well.

At the 4 week mark do your water tests and if they are ok you can change 20 percent if you wish. Never do any more than that.

What other filters are you running besides the skimmer, any filter media like Siporax where your bacteria is likely to colonise?

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Hi,
We are about two and a half weeks in, it's taking over everything Please tell me I'm freaking out about nothing.
I tried google but I'm not 100%
Yup, give it another 6 weeks to settle down. Maybe a small water change like @slin1977 said
This is the hard part, don't add fish before then.
It can be tempting but listen to what the guy's on here with many years of experience say.
I'm not one of those btw, only 14 months into the reefs myself after 20 years of freshwater tanks
Welcome to the hobby and the Reefuge, the best site for reefers out there :)

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Thank you all! I feel so much better I thought I had the led lights turned on for too long

What other filters are you running besides the skimmer, any filter media like Siporax where your bacteria is likely to colonise?
There is a compartment at the back with three canisters. On the box it said it should have had three different types of filter media in it but it's only got the white round hollow tube sort of filter in each one. I found a generic pic from the booklet. What do you recommend for filter media? Should I replace some?
IMG_2428.JPG

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Thank you all! I feel so much better I thought I had the led lights turned on for too long

There is a compartment at the back with three canisters. On the box it said it should have had three different types of filter media in it but it's only got the white round hollow tube sort of filter in each one. I found a generic pic from the booklet. What do you recommend for filter media? Should I replace some?
View attachment 56126
Ahh, perfect!! You'll be off to a great start with that set up. No need to change a thing but I can recommend changing those generic noodles out with a product called Siporax. I believe it is the best filtration product on the market by far. I run 10 litres in my 300 litre tank. Yes it's expensive but it will be a great investment if you manage to get it into your set up. Whilst you are still cycling the tank would be the best time.