Reef Discussion

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Help! Girlfriends Female Clown Has This Red Bump On Its Chin!
My girlfriends female clown.. Has this red bump on its chin, I think I need help to figure out what it is and if it's treatable.. This is reference photo to what it looks like.. Her clown wouldn't stop moving. Any input would be helpful.. Never had a clown with this before. Cheers.
image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Yeah, I'm worried it's gonna die, I can't google what it is..she's still eating.. But shrugs what I'm going to do to help her out.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
It looks like a wound to me - the main thing you want to avoid is an infection setting in. Make sure your water quality is up to scratch & if not do a water change. Feed her well each day.

The least stressful way to help prevent infection is by doing an IN-TANK hyposalinity treatment - you do this by lowering your salinity to 1.017. This is safe for sensitive invertebrates & corals and won't kill off your natural filter. Additionally, if the clown is easily netted (do not chase) and you have Betadine in the cupboard at home, get a 5ml syringe from the chemist and daily, mix 1 cup of water from the tank with a rice grain amount of Betadine mixed thoroughly. Draw up some of the diluted Betadine mixture into the syringe. Net the clownfish, put your hand around the fish gently so you have good control. Holding the fish over a dish or something, drizzle the wound with the Betadine in the syringe. This way you can target the area without getting it in the fish eyes or over its gills (Betadine can sting...).

Keep doing this until the wound is completely healed. I hope the outcome is good!

Is this the nano you just set up? What are your ammonia readings?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
It looks like a wound to me - the main thing you want to avoid is an infection setting in. Make sure your water quality is up to scratch & if not do a water change. Feed her well each day.

The least stressful way to help prevent infection is by doing an IN-TANK hyposalinity treatment - you do this by lowering your salinity to 1.017. This is safe for sensitive invertebrates & corals and won't kill off your natural filter. Additionally, if the clown is easily netted (do not chase) and you have Betadine in the cupboard at home, get a 5ml syringe from the chemist and daily, mix 1 cup of water from the tank with a rice grain amount of Betadine mixed thoroughly. Draw up some of the diluted Betadine mixture into the syringe. Net the clownfish, put your hand around the fish gently so you have good control. Holding the fish over a dish or something, drizzle the wound with the Betadine in the syringe. This way you can target the area without getting it in the fish eyes or over its gills (Betadine can sting...).

Keep doing this until the wound is completely healed. I hope the outcome is good!

Is this the nano you just set up? What are your ammonia readings?
Hey man, it's a bump, she's the female so she would be doing the bullying to the male. They haven't been in my display.. they're both sitting inside a breeder box as they're my girlfriends.. I can't do any treatments like that.. Just don't have the facility to do so.. But betadine I could possibly do with a diluted soluton. To me it looks like a pimple man..

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
red pimple=infection most likely. try the betadine as Agent M suggested if you can't do anything else

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If they're sitting in a breeder box then thats great - just make sure you scoop her out nice and calmly to keep her stress levels down.

You don't need any special facilities to do the hyposalinity treatment. Your salt water should be at 1.024 already, so all you need to do is add RO to the tank until it goes down to 1.017 - are you using a hydrometer or anything to check your salt levels?

The hypo treatment is really worthwhile because it reduces stress on the fish body and means it uses less energy, so it can concentrate more on healing the wound.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ive had a clown with the same issue in the past and it was fine, it was there for a few months but didn't affect it at all