Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Netting will clog more frequently, but easier to clean I guess!

How big was the snail? Or was it blocking with the aid of some other gunk?

Sam

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Netting will clog more frequently, but easier to clean I guess!

How big was the snail? Or was it blocking with the aid of some other gunk?

Sam
no other gunk found in fact was surprisingly clean. Big round snail. Don't know how he got down there in first place. We certainly didn't buy him probably hitch hiker when we purchased the tank Might have even grown up in there looking at the size of him. !!! Lol.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Wow, that is unlucky, but kinda cool! He must have gone down there when he was small, then just sat in the pipe and grew till he blocked it.

Kinda reminds me of this:

afreethoughtblogs.com_ashleymiller_files_2014_05_large.gif

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
A mesh, such as the plastic gutter guard available from the hardware shop, should suffice to stop large things going down the pipe but still minimise the potential for it to get clogged up with small stuff.

awww.cyclone.com.au_sitebuilder_products_medium_319_g23008.jpg

As for single overflows - I have used one for my whole reefing life and never had a problem, although I have never had large snails in my tank.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
A mesh, such as the plastic gutter guard available from the hardware shop, should suffice to stop large things going down the pipe but still minimise the potential for it to get clogged up with small stuff.

View attachment 42236

As for single overflows - I have used one for my whole reefing life and never had a problem, although I have never had large snails in my tank.
Have gutter guard over my return pump at the moment. Works well. Been advised not to on downpipes because algae loves to grow and often blocks up ? Thought on that one. ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Have gutter guard over my return pump at the moment. Works well. Been advised not to on downpipes because algae loves to grow and often blocks up ? Thought on that one. ?
The advice is probably correct, which means that you will need to weigh up the pros and cons of using the guard on the downpipe.

If you don't use it, you may end up with another snail blocking the pipe - what are the chances of that happening again and, with a backup, does it really matter?. If you do use it, how much algae will actually grow, and how often will you have to clean it?

Your choice :)