Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Help!!! Ammonia!!! New cycle!!! New fish!!!
Hi, have bought two new fish and have put them in QT, well more like just isolation as there is live rock in it.

Tank has been going for 4 weeks with no issues and put new clown pair in there...very guilty of overfeeding on Friday night...they just seemed so hungry.

Dissolved mysis shrimp cubes n the water and they went wild eating them.

Any way woke up Saturday morning to a cloudy tank..water test...high ammonia so did a 30% water change

Two hours later no real change did 100% and reacclimatised fish...all OK

Another 6 hours and ammonia creeping up so did 25% change

Still monitoring it...Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Ammonia just registering but find it hard to read ammonia tests (I'll start another thread on that)

Should I keep going the same way...ie monitor and big water changes?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
What ammonia measurements did you get back from your test kit?
Over feeding shouldn't cause that big of an issue, how many cubes did you put in?
Was the qt tank already cycled how long has it been running for?

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
The LFS did a before and after a big water change before was 1.0 after 0.25 and then as I said I did 100% change and reacclimatised them and all good..well so far and still monitoring

Don't laugh but 6 cubes over half an hour:D*very embarrassed to admit* oh and a couple of pinches of pellets

QT tank was started with rock and water from tank that had cycled 3 weeks earlier and QT running since then with no problems for 3 weeks since then....only had a tiny cycle if at all when it started.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
6 cubes for that small of a fish in one go? If some of it went uneaten I'm sure it could cause a spike !

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
:cryyes I know now...they kept eating though and they're big clowns 5cm and 7cm...but I must admit when I changed the water over there was a lot floating in the water that must have got caught in the rock...I had the pump on and stuff was blowing all around the tank...think I'll stick to pellets for now

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hopefully Sven everything is now under control - keep doing your water changes until there is no measurable ammonia.

Let us know how things go today.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
All good this morning...fingers crossed

The helio and torch looked as good as I did when I got them, so that must be a bit of an indication