Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hawkfish Compatibility
When I move to the new address in about 2-3 months time, I'm going to do some fish changes.
The Flame Angel is going (sadly), it has decided after 3 years to get an appetite for Acans.
So I will be keeping the Yellow Tang and the Flame Hawkfish. I was wondering what other people have that gets along well with a Hawkfish and is reef safe.
I was thinking of maybe a Blenny, but then again I would like something that swims around a bit more. I've decided not to go with another tang, even a small one, after loosing my beautiful Lipstick at Xmas. The Yellow is really dominant in the tank and I think contributed a fair bit to the loss of Lippy.
So I think I would rather go with a number of smallish colourful fish rather than a couple of bigger ones.
I also have a lone Chromis that will have to go, he would probably knock off any new Chromis, and would like to put in a small shoal of Anthias if I can pick up some small ones.
I'm totally over Clowns, even though I have kinda thought about Pink Skunk Clowns.
Any suggestions out there?

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Had a Flame Hawk for years and have mixed him with all different kinds of fish.

I'm a little suspect of my Flame Hawk picking on the Royal Gramma but only anecdotal evidence so far.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
You will never regret getting a blenny, they are often very interactive with humans and if it likes you, it might even let you watch "its" tank.:D

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I have the following with my flame hawk

banana wrasse
2 coral gobys, one purple one yellow
2 clowns
sailfin tang
sexy shrimp - he now hosts a goni after ditching the anenome

no issues yet, 4 months in

I will be moving the flame hawk, tang and wrasse to a bigger tank in a 3/4 weeks though with some other larger tangs and angles, and I would still like a flame hawk friend for him, never went with a blenny this time because the one I had years ago was a big aggressive, but everyone has differing experiences, I read online the FHawk would probably end up eating the sexy shrimp but he hasn't even sniffed near it so, as with everything in life, make your own conclusions, weigh up the risk and do what you feel is best for you, even if it is against the grain, it might still work out ok.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
You will never regret getting a blenny, they are often very interactive with humans and if it likes you, it might even let you watch "its" tank.

I was seduced by a Tiger Blenny.

Actually, when I would visit Aquaristic when they had the old set up, they had a central coral tank with a tiger blenny in it. When I'd walk around the tank looking at the coral, the blenny would follow me around looking at me. This caused me (along with many others) to put my name down on their list for a tiger blenny.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Yellow watchman Goby is nice ... kinda hard to get it in Sydney these past few months ... or maybe just my timing ahhahaha

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Never had issues with wrasses, genicanthus angels, dwarf angels, my hawks always got along with anthias and my royal gramma too. I only ever had them hate on blennies and gobies lol fine with everyone else though :)

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have 2 flame hawks , yellow tang,sailfin tang,3 x blue chromis , blue tang(beautiful fish but problems with white spot) 2 clowns, 2 x dragonets, flame angle,and a very friendly blenny that has even let me pat him, they all get along well in 400lt tank