Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Halichoeres Cosmetus
I had thought I'd done enough research to know about every member of the Halichoeres family. This was about twelve months ago or so when I had thought I'd mourned long enough the passing of my Golden/Canary/Banana Wrasse (Halichoeres Chrysus) and my having let go of my Dusky Wrasse (as I thought it was going to grow to big). Then, on Saturday I visited Majestic Aquariums and came across an Adorned/Orange-Striped Wrasse (Halichoeres Cosmetus). So, I did further research and informed that it only grows to about 5 inches and it eats some of those nasties that we all might get from time to time, I bought it. It was very cheap. Makes me wonder why wrasse like this aren't more popular.

Anyway, has anyone experience with this wrasse? I'm expecting it to be just like a Golden Wrasse and eventually I might even add a Golden Wrasse to the tank too.

At the moment it is small. I'm thankful for that as I will be changing tanks soon and hope that some of the beneficial worms and copepods can populate the tank before the wrasse becomes large enough to eat them.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I like to look at pictures :rolleyes

Halichoeres cosmetus
awww.liveaquaria.com_images_categories_large_lg_78453_adorned_wrasse.jpg

Halichoeres melanurus
awww.liveaquaria.com_images_categories_large_lg_80626_hoevens_wrasse2.jpg

The main difference, especially as a juvenile, looks to be the position of the second (rear) spot - where is the spot located on yours?

I couldn't find any reference to H. cosmetus being found in Australian waters so that might provide some confirmation - does the LFS know where it was collected?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Mine has the spot configuration of melanurus but has a lighter coloured belly like cosmetus.

Once I brought the fish home and I had a really close look at the fish and compared it with googled images, I took the spot configuration as being determinative.

I had put my name down at another shop for a melanurus ages ago, but never got one. So, I would have bought this fish regardless of whether it was melanurus or cosmetus. I would have preferred even smaller, but this one is about 2.5 inches so not too big. I would like to get other similar sized Halichoeres wrasses, but I'll just have to see how how much live food is available in the tank with this one alone.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Before I bought the wrasse I looked at the picture in the following link:

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=1032&cid=290

This now adds extreme confusion!

I will go with what you suggested above that it is more probable to be a local fish (although I didn't ask the lfs) and is more likely to be Melanurus.

Guess everyone is going to want me t post a picture... I'll look into this.

At the moment the fish is in a a small bucket as it came home in water at 1.020 (my refractometer), but my water is 1.028. so I am slowly raising it.

It ate nls pellets I left in its bucket last night and just now it ate more nls pellets that I added. It's eating straight from the water surface.

Cute little bugger whatever it is.