Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
H. Ritteri Care
The ritteri anemone is probably one of the hardest marine specimens to keep, love them or not, they make a breathtaking display with their symbiotic cohorts be they clowns, shrimp or crabs. I'm going to try to help you unlock the secrets of keeping them healthy from receipt to addition to your display.

Shipping:
These guys are notoriously bad shippers, they arrive 1 of 3 ways, alive and kicking, damaged or a foul smelling anemone milkshake in a plastic bag. There are only 2 smells that are worse smells in the reef world, fouled rock and dead leather corals. The smell gets into your sinuses and you will smell it for 24-36 hours. They ship best out of Indonesia and The Red Sea, Sri Lanka ritteris are terrible due to their holding facilities. You have a 1-5 chance of getting a good one, now you know why they command the prices they do.

Arrival:
You need to take the greatest care when acclimating a ritteri, they have been in a box for 24-48 hours if not a little longer. You will need to drip acclimate these guys, they need to be washed so a very small powerhead in with them will help start the purging process. When I acclimate them, they're placed in a cube made of eggcrate so they can't get to the powerhead. A good sign is them trying to attach to the eggcrate because that is one that is going to make it. a minimum of 1 hour drip time. A note of caution here, there is new evidence that all anemones, not just zooanthids and palythoas contain toxins that at best will make you sick or at worst can kill you outright. Respiratory arrest is NOT how I wanna go out!

Acclimation to quarantine:
Here's another make or break area. They need flow, the spin cycle of a washing machine would suit a ritteri. I always put a piece of eggcrate in front of the powerhead or wave maker. They roam when they're newly introduced so be forewarned. It would be disheartening to have one get chopped up by a pump, especially since they cost between $75 and $250 here in the US. Add a clown or clowns now, they will help the anemone rid itself of all the toxins that have built up during shipping. I have a huge female Sebae clown and a pair of Orange Skunk clowns that lend themselves to the task of helping the new anemones make it. I don't know what it is, but a ritteri on the edge is brought around by the pushing, prodding and kneading from clowns. Might be something I'll sit down one day and write a paper on, it's been 4 years since I've been published so I need to get off my ass, lol.

Disease and treatment:
I couldn't tell you how many times I've had them come in with a damaged basal disc, cut or missing pieces, again, Sri Lanka is the absolute worst for this. Back in the 80s and 90s we used a diluted Lugol's solution swabbed onto the affected areas to stop bacterial spread and it did a bang up job. Now the best course of treatment is 250mgs Ciprofloxacin to 40 litres of water for 7-10 days with 100% daily water changes with re-administration of the Cipro with the water change. I wouldn't put clowns in with them if you're treating them and I'm not one to just throw one into a quarantine tank with an antibiotic just as a prophylactic. If they're sick or damaged, that's the time to do it. Remember, they've been to hell and back, give them 2 days to perk up. But if they're exuding a heavy mucus or there are white stringy patches, do it right away.

Stability:
I don't go by the 1 year for an anemone rule for an aquarium, but your aquarium MUST BE STABLE!!! These guys will not tolerate anything but perfect water. If you've never kept an anemone I'd recommend a Bubble Tip to learn with as they're damn near indestructible. We have one here that got chopped up in the Jebao wave maker and then decided the cool thing to do was to go through the overflow in my 130D. It self fragged into 3 anemones and to my knowledge the other 2 are still alive in other aquariums.

Lighting:

A ritteri would be happy on the surface of the sun, they will actively seek out the highest point in the tank to get light. I'm experimenting with the LED system so the verdict's not in yet. Back in the day, metal halide was about the only way to keep them, they REALLY like 6500k-12k metal halide bulbs.

There you have it, my take on one of the most beautiful sea creatures. Feel free to add to this as this is just what I've learned over the course of 35 years of importing and keeping marine animals. I'm always up to learn another way to do things and make sure a creature trusted to our care makes it and hopefully reproduces so we can take a little pressure off wild stocks.

Last edited:

Ninja

Sep 17, 2014
Hi Bob, I intend to keep anemome when my tank is ready, what is the best way to keep them out of wave makers or power heads without losing too much flow in the process?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have had good luck wrapping my Jebao wave makers with plastic mesh so it doesn't drop the flow. I used some old filtre material call DLS which was around back in the 80s, but any semi rigid mesh will work. I'll try to shoot some pics so you have an idea of what it is tomorrow. It adds very little to maintenance and it's peace of mind when it comes to roaming ritteris. Even after they've been stable for months to a year, sometimes they decide it's time to go on walk about, lol.

Ninja

Sep 17, 2014
I have had good luck wrapping my Jebao wave makers with plastic mesh so it doesn't drop the flow. I used some old filtre material call DLS which was around back in the 80s, but any semi rigid mesh will work. I'll try to shoot some pics so you have an idea of what it is tomorrow. It adds very little to maintenance and it's peace of mind when it comes to roaming ritteris. Even after they've been stable for months to a year, sometimes they decide it's time to go on walk about, lol.

That would be great Bob, looking forward to the pic.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I had one of those about 20ish years ago. I got it at about a foot wide. Kept it for ages and it out grew my tank. It lasted many years, last I heard it was traded to an 8x3x2 tank acouple of years back, lit with solar tubes and was about 1.6 to 2 foot across. I had no idea that nems lasted so long.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
There's one here at The Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC that has been in captivity and reproduced for 25 years. They are also known as Magnifica anemones, I don't recognize that nomenclature as I feel it's the missing link between Heteractus and Stichodactyla. One day i will sit my arse down and prove that theory when I retire.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You blokes REALLY get screwed down there on ritteri anemones!!! Jesus, $450 for one? And that's a small/medium one here that fetches about $80US retail.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
OK, here's the mesh I would use if I lived there. Since you lot are fond of Bunnings I shopped their site. You'll need a roll of this and some wire ties, just make sure the wire ties you get are all plastic as some have metal securing tabs.

I would fold it in 1/2 and wrap it loosely around the head so as to not starve the pump for flow. You want it 2-3cm thick around the pump. If you have a larger pump, you'll want to use the entire length or trim it to fit. On the Jebao pump I only wrap the back portion where the water flows into the pump.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-outdoor-160mm-6m-plastic-gutterguard-mesh-with-clips_p3040319

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
We get screwed alot for some stock down here as we arent allowed to import inverts, as I have been told by a couple of lfs. There are a couple of aus online guys that have some good stock and are really hard to get quality product from that sell only to the usa and europe. :(

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Then you lot need to get together and collect your own specimens. There's a permit that needs to be obtained, then have at it adhering to the catch and size limits. I'm serious folks, when I get down there, we're going collecting.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Hey Rob nice write up! What do these guys look like?

OK, I found this perusing youtube for videos. I've watched about an hour of this series. The clownfish one is one of your red based ritteris. Most ritteris are purple tentacles with yellow tips, yours are yellow tentacles with purple tips and a maroon base.

Here's a video of my SMALL from Indonesia, lol. Apparently my collector has an issue understanding my English. if that's a small, a large has to be a metre across. Do turn off the sound, I thought I had it off in the camera, but I did not and there's quite a bit of background noise from the tele.

Last edited: