Tank Journal Archive

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
Gunnie's Reef
Introduction:
2nd time reefer after my first 4x2x2 (2001-2005 RIP :P) was sold and i got married and did all that boring stuff :)

System Objectives:
To have a beautiful but also efficient and sustainable tank to run in terms of cost and maintenance in the future, utilising a combination of latest technologies and traditional proven methods. Looking for a shallow or barebottom tank with a planned open look in regards to aquascaping.

System Type:
SPS, Clams, fishies

Display System:

Strike up Date:
October 2011

Display Tank:
Custom Rimless 3 x 2 x 20, to get more of a shallow look with external coast to coast calflo weir, 12mm glass .
4 holes - syphon/durso/backup/return
Starfire 3 sides, black silicone, rimless and polished edges, black acrylic back with overflow teeth
Tank & sump by Abyss Aquariums

Display Lighting:
Vertex Illumina SR600 mounted from ceiling

Cabinet with egg crate screen to prevent jumpers (

Sump:
Dimension 70 x 60 x 50 3 compartments, skimmer - refuge - return

Refugium:
Live rock, phosban reactor, DSB

Refugium Lighting:
9w cfl so i can see what im doing down there, macro was removed

Support systems:

System Water:
Natural Sea Water

Display Water circulation:
1 x Vortech MP40
1 x Tunze 6105 with 7092 controller

Return Pump:
Eheim Compact 3000

Skimmer:
Marine Sources RDC 850 cone with internal bubble pump to save space (although after further research seems the external pumps are better, I guess that is the trade off for space)

Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze Auto top up - RODI water, PSI system

Chemical Support:
Phosban
Redsea reef care range

Calcium Addition:
red sea reef foundations a b c

ai1184.photobucket.com_albums_z339_GunnieReef_IMG_2228.jpg

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
As I have said before. I'm jealous and very impressed! Keep it up mate looking great.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
great looking tank!
(You do realise that by telling people to ignore the pic of you drinking scotch that that's the first one they'll look for?;) )

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
Looks impressive - how would you compare the MP40 to the 6105?
Hey mate, the Tunze in terms of pure ability to move water in the 3x2 space just shits all over the Vortech. I have the tunze at about 20% on the little white dial, and the vortech is on lagoon 100%

If the tunze goes to about 50% water is coming out over the edge.. its definately too big for this size tank and I would recommend anyone to get a smaller tunze for 3x2 , not required

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
Here is an old video of the Tunze 6091 with 7092 wavemaker and MP40 on wave mode

Also a video I made when the tank just got setup, looks alot fuller now but gives you a good overview of the setup, pretty simple stuff and it seems to be working so far. Ive replaced the cheapo ATO with a Tunze unit but everything else is kicking along strong

Did my weekly water change yesterday, everything is still doing well, and just in the period when I am coming home from work and enjoying the tank. I am really happy with just how low maintenance the tank has been so far and fingers crossed it stays that way!

My birds nest is going green, and a few other interesting colour observations in the SPS, I will keep it updated for those interested in SPS under LEDs and what not.