Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
And so I don't go too off topic. I found this vid on youtube on keeping Chromis and I asked the guy a question: part of his reply was:
"I have found that chromis are not the most hardy fish you can buy but with proper care and environment (small fish love SPS to hide in or SPS skeletons) will last."

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Where to begin with these little bastards, oh wait, they're bastards. In the time I've been keeping reefs, since 1985, I've probably had 200 of the damn things and unless they're in a large tank, 6' or longer, they will kill each other off, one by one like a sniper. I bought 4 for the 57, I have one. I added 3 Spiny Chromis last week, guess what? I now have 1 green and 1 Spiny chromis. when these head off to the happy hunting grounds there will be no more.Don't get me wrong, I love these little guys to pieces, but damn, if they're gonna do this to each other I'd rather leave them in the ocean. In short, if you have a small tank, keep to other critters. The ONLY time I've ever had a group of more than 1 was in the 8' 240.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
They're sounding less and less appealing honestly!

I was looking for something hardy and they have that rep. It pays to look into it a bit more!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Changed my mind again, probably going to go with Pseudoanthias hutchii if I can get a trio. They have a nice light green colour.

I've done some more reading and the amount of people that are saying that Chromis kill each other off is in overwhelming amounts. I have noticed though that most report that they simply found the fish dead - so perhaps they are more fragile than we think. We tend to make a lot of assumptions in this hobby that are just conjecture.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you're looking for something green and schooling, what about Barred Gobies? They're peaceful, hardy and the males flash colour when they get excited.

awww.liveaquaria.com_images_categories_product_p_80700_Zebra_Barred_Dartf.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I thought about getting some barrier reef chromis today but this thread stopped me!
All of the googling I did where I found person after person saying the blue-green's just bump each other off stopped me in my tracks too. I like to have all of my fish singing Kumbayah ;) But I want some contrasting soft green in my Anthias school so badly its beyond all reasoning at this point.

I was in a shop yesterday and they had some young chromis in stock - super healthy. So I made a completely unplanned purchase and was setting up a QT tank with a bag of fish at my feet an hour later. Fish first, tank later right? Good to see I've learnt a thing or two in this hobby :cool:

There are 3 chromis - two are more blue and one has a half green metallic back. This is relevant to me because the two blues were already having little snips at each other in the bucket while I was acclimatising them! Can't believe that! It was subtle and it took me a while to notice they were doing it.

When I introduced them to the QT the two blues also decided to hide together and then were occasionally jostling trying to kick the other one out of the hiding spot. I fed them to distract them and they were eating like little pigs right away which is great to see. The feeding relaxed them enough to come out of hiding and start swimming around like they would normally. So introduction: in the 'very easy' category. Now to see if they can be peaceful with one another or not.

The guy at the shop has a large display tank - I asked him what his opinion was of whether or not Chromis are more fragile fish than we tend to think, or if the deaths reported are definitely from aggression. He pointed at the tank where there are 9 mature chromis living and said 'I started with 150 and I was left with 9'. Because he is physically present with his fish all day, he was able to see it happening, not just find a body when he got home like a lot of people have.

My comment was I've been in this hobby long enough not to get cocky and think I'll be the special one who can achieve what others can't, haha.

So off I go...:poidh

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
2 coming along just fine. One of the blues is sulking (the smallest one). As of tonight the one moping didn't eat even though I could see it was interested.

If its not eating by tomorrow morning I will intervene. There are a few things I could do, haven't decided yet:

- put the smallest blue Chromis in another tank on its own, introduce another in there and try to form a second pair in a separate tank, then combine the two pairs when the bigger tank is set up

- go back to the shop and buy another one to add to the quarantine tank, hopefully not being the odd one out will help.

- take either the smallest Chromis, or the most aggressive one (thinking that might be the better option) back to the shop and swap it over for another two - I'll only get the green backed ones this time, as the one I have is definitely better natured. So I'll take a punt that the others might be as well (just making things up here!)

I'm liking the last option. If even numbers doesn't work out, I will stick with just a pair.

Last edited:

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Looks like I'll stick with the pair, if they last. Found the little blue dead this morning with wounds! So won't add any more if thats how it's going to be. They were long vertical gashes down one side of him, 3 of them. I wouldn't have guessed they could leave those sorts of marks.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
It really is a tough life transitioning to being an aquarium fish. The two Chromis have been going strong but I've just shaken things up for them by moving them out of QT yesterday and introducing them to Cain, my Azure Damsel. He's been giving them a typical damsel welcome.

I monitor my fish very closely but I still make errors in deciding when to pull the pin on something - I'm hoping they will settle and no one will be killed in this final stage.

I only lasted a month QTing them. I made a fish purchase yesterday that definitely needs full length quaranting as it has ich. The Chromis have been looking very healthy from the first day I got them so I'm happy to move them out rather than knowingly introduce them to ich.

Observations are that there is less aggression when the Chromis have other stimulus to concentrate on, like navigating higher flow, food, other fish. That fits with @suta42's comments earlier in the thread.

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
A bit late I guess but take a look at Vanderbilt Chromis. I saw them for the first time yesterday at Reef and River and have since fell in love with them. Not quite as flashy but still quite colourful and I'd imagine with some tweaking of diet and lighting etc you could really make them pop. Wes said he had his group for quite a while and hasn't lost a single one. Grow about 3 inches full size and quite active little fellers!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
A bit late I guess but take a look at Vanderbilt Chromis. I saw them for the first time yesterday at Reef and River and have since fell in love with them. Not quite as flashy but still quite colourful and I'd imagine with some tweaking of diet and lighting etc you could really make them pop. Wes said he had his group for quite a while and hasn't lost a single one. Grow about 3 inches full size and quite active little fellers!
But I want greeeen - she says in a whiny voice (perhaps it should be a wine-y voice with the day I'm having). I'll have one for you as I hear congrats are in order

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
There used to be a copper formalin complex here back in the 70s and I haven't seen it since. that would be what I'd use. I contacted the manufacturer but no response. If they'd give me the damn ratios and molarity I could pass it on and make it myself, bastards. :mad: