Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Green Bta Moved In With Pink Bta ?
WE watched our green BTA move today across the tank and settle right next to our larger Pink BTA. is this normal ? Will they sting each other ? We have another 4 BTA''s are they likely to snuggle up too ?
007.JPG

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have been diving where there are carpets of bta, maybe fifty, sixty or more! Normally all one colour though. Should be fine, looks mint!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I have been diving where there are carpets of bta, maybe fifty, sixty or more! Normally all one colour though. Should be fine, looks mint!
wow, i am surprised , everything I have read about them says it unusual for them to LIKE to be together. It looks nice. Its like the clowns have their own green room now, built an extension onto the house lol.

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Depends on the variety of BTA :) Some are colonising, while others prefer to tackle world domination on their own! lol

To my knowledge the BTAs shouldn't sting each other. He would have just moved over there because we was chasing the optimum spot and it just so happens that someone else had already found it ;)

Keep an eye on them, but so long as there's food, I'm betting they'll be fine :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Depends on the variety of BTA :) Some are colonising, while others prefer to tackle world domination on their own! lol

To my knowledge the BTAs shouldn't sting each other. He would have just moved over there because we was chasing the optimum spot and it just so happens that someone else had already found it ;)

Keep an eye on them, but so long as there's food, I'm betting they'll be fine :)
Thanks for that,. We have never seen him move during the day before it was fascinating. They both seem to be ok with each other, if not I suppose one or the other will move away. thanks

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Despite the information that I've found online, my personal experience so far has been that some thrive next to each other while others seem not to. I am not sure yet whether there is some other issue with the ones that aren't thriving or if it is incompatibility with the other BTAs, but my research online seems to suggest that BTAs seeking one another out is actually a sign of aggression. My opinion is still on the fence with that one so far however time will tell whats going on with yours. If one appears not to be thriving I would move it, as I lost two this way. I should make a point of noting that up until they had contact with the other BTAs they appeared to be thriving.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Despite the information that I've found online, my personal experience so far has been that some thrive next to each other while others seem not to. I am not sure yet whether there is some other issue with the ones that aren't thriving or if it is incompatibility with the other BTAs, but my research online seems to suggest that BTAs seeking one another out is actually a sign of aggression. My opinion is still on the fence with that one so far however time will tell whats going on with yours. If one appears not to be thriving I would move it, as I lost two this way. I should make a point of noting that up until they had contact with the other BTAs they appeared to be thriving.
Thanks for that info, I am keeping a very close eye on things and they are both so far doing well. Both eating and opening normally. Cross fingers. I will def move one if it looks like its aggression in any way.
thanks

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
No worries, it will happen very slowly over a number of weeks, so if you notice one getting smaller and being shaded out by the other for a number of days in a row (not just the normal inflation/deflation), move one away.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
No worries, it will happen very slowly over a number of weeks, so if you notice one getting smaller and being shaded out by the other for a number of days in a row (not just the normal inflation/deflation), move one away.
Will do. Thanks !