Reef Discussion

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Goni Not Opening
Hi all,
I have one very healthy and happy light green goni and one happy and healthy brown flowerpot but in the same tank I also have one darker green goni that just does nothing no matter where I put it.

I've had this dark green one for a month or so, he was happily extended in the LFS. Bought him home, dipped him in Revive (I saw a couple of little yellow worms in the bag) and then acclimated him into the tank. For the first week, he didn't extend one bit at all and I actually thought I had killed him. Since then, he barely extends at all, and if he does its only one or two polyps at a time.

I've noticed in the last couple of days that in a couple of places instead of the retracted polyps, it's actually just black, no polyps left there at all.

I've tried him in different spots, no difference. I've tried feeding him, no difference. I'm wondering if this one is a "gonna" and do I bin him? If he is infected or dying, I don't want anything spreading to my other corals or do I just keep persisting?

This is typically how he looks day in and day out. Any advice welcomed.
11411768_10200740031578904_2231626825702487716_o.jpg

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@Ziggy it still looks okay to me ... I'm currently attempting to revive a light green Goniopora (which is a bit neglected) and I can see the polyps but they are not extending ...

Not sure what that Revive is (as I don't dip any of my corals), so can't say if that's the one causing things worse.

I guess what I am trying to say is, it may takes time for Goni .... my bright pink took approx. more than 2 months to be at the stage where it is at the moment.

I was so frustrated at that time but @Lesley assured me that it was fine. Maybe time will tell ... my opinion is don't give her up just yet.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Lesley the Goni whisperer will be able to advise. Personally, I think it's gone and will not recover - but Lesley has proven me wrong way too many times :P

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi @Ziggy gonis can be very temperamental turds.
I have had some of mine close up for over 2 months at at time, so much so that Steve threw one at the back of the tank (old tank had a back ) and about 3 months later and forgetting him, we see these long beautiful healthy polyps extending out from behind a rock. He came back brilliantly, and has been fragged a number of times since.

I do think you have a few dead spots on him, that wont come back.
But I do think he can be saved.
Try moving him closer to rocks, where he can get some protection from strong flow at this stage, (he seems to be out in the middle of the sand)
Maybe even a little spot where he can still get light but not full light. I have found that when sick or sulking as I call it they dont like the strong light as much. and tend to show a little more polyp when a little shaded.
If you do see any small extension, give him a feed with a syringe and gently squirt over his heads.
I would expect to see some small extension fairly quickly with the less flow and lower light.
Do not give up on him, we recently had every single goni in our tank close, we thought it was the water, Clearly they didn't like something that was happening in the tank, it took some 3 weeks to start coming back and others took 8 weeks but all back now.

I know you have recently dropped your phos quite quickly, does his closing and unhealthy appearance coincide with the phos drop ?

Thank you @Sam Parker for your lovely comments but goni whisperer I am not......lol

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Thanks @Lesley, I'll take those points on board. We've tried low light, higher light, low flow, shaded spots, spot feeding, not feeding and so forth, all with the same result. He has been this way virtually since we got him almost 2 months ago. I've never seen him fully extend ever except when he was in the LFS. :(

With that said, I'll move him again closer to the rock and just leave him and see what happens. :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks @Lesley, I'll take those points on board. We've tried low light, higher light, low flow, shaded spots, spot feeding, not feeding and so forth, all with the same result. He has been this way virtually since we got him almost 2 months ago. I've never seen him fully extend ever except when he was in the LFS. :(

With that said, I'll move him again closer to the rock and just leave him and see what happens. :)
Don't keep moving him. Find a spot & leave him. Good luck