Reef Discussion

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Gbta Torn
Ok so my gbta split a couple of days ago. One piece doing fine, the other hiding. I thought I'd move the rock with one on it slightly closer to where the clowns hang out to try to get them to host. I didn't realise the one hiding was attached to two rocks and I accidentally tore a 5c piece size bit off it. So now I have 1 fine bta, 1 with a small tear in its side, and the torn tiny piece by itself. What chance have I got of the torn one surviving? I'm guessing the tiny piece is done for as it wasn't split through the mouth?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
They're a bit like morphs in a way, a torn piece of foot will survive with water without too much bacterial load (the stuff carbon removes).

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
hi, should be fine. We were at a lfs one day and I noticed a torn bit of BTA laying on the bottom of a tank., it only had 2 tentacles. I asked the guy if I could tank it home, and it grew into a beautiful large BTA very quickly.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It'll be fine. We had one get chopped up by the wavemaker, then a piece of that lived in the overflow until it healed. Sold 2 of the 3 pieces.