Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Fundraiser For A Member.
Hi everyone,

@Sam Parker was talking to me today about a possible fundraiser for our member ezza. As stated in her post here, due to unfortunate events and problems, she may need to shut down the tank. For this reason, Sam has come up with the idea for a fundraiser to help ease the financial strain put on her and her family and to try and bring joy to her.

I don't know if any of you remember, but one of our other members also got sick ( @Ian3145 ). If you read this post, you can see ezza was one of the people who organised a care package for him. She has shown kindness, and I would like to see her good deed rewarded in her time of need.

All funds raised will be donated to her. If all of us put in a bit, between a few hundred of us we can make a big difference to her.

If you would like to contribute to this fundraiser, please send paypal donations to (removed).

If you are unable to donate money, please consider donating time instead. It can be something as simple as going over to her house and doing a simple water change, or testing her water parameters. This in itself would be a huge help to her.

Please keep this thread a secret. We don't want ezza finding out about its existence. It is blocked from her (and guests) view, so please don't mention it elsewhere on the forums or the chatbox. You will not be able to access this thread directly from the website. Please save or reply to this thread to keep updated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks everyone for reading this thread, as mentioned - Ezza has hit some tough times physically, financially and emotionally.

I'd like to think as the best reefing community in Australia if not the world, between us we can really make a difference to a long time member. I am totally open to some out of the box ideas or suggestions on how we can help, obviously financially is a good one - but I understand that is not possible for all. Totally happy to hear alternate ideas, possibly have an in-house auction for a coral that is taking up room in your tank :)

Obviously the donation of time will be difficult for those not geographically near Ezza, but I truly feel this could be of the most benefit to her situation. Having someone come over to change your water, clean the glass, empty the skimmer and do a quick water test would be a huge help (I'm guessing, but it doesn't sound too bad at all!)

Many hands make light work, let's try and take the burden off a long term member with a kind gesture from all of us.

Thanks,
Sam

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
What state is she actually in ? Unfortunately not in a position ourselves to donate $$ as such at this stage, but would love to be able to perhaps forward some supplies to here that I already have available to me. Will see what I am able to do. It would be a shame for her to have to close down as it is probably something that although requires some hard work, it would almost be therapeutic to her situation.

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
Hi guys,

this is an amazing gesture guys.... I live in her surrounds (I believe?) I have a full 22kg bucket of Red Sea Coral pro salt which I can't use (I use the Zeovit system) more then happy to donate this :)

Also have a spare skimmer laying around that I can't seem to sell, if it doesn't move in the next two days (Auction ends in two days) I'll be more then happy to donate this as well. I noticed in her thread her current skimmer is on it's way out - We all know how important this is to any reef.

I was reading her post earlier this morning, I have been through some tough times but no where near the amount she is going through. Every little bit counts.

Last edited:

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I love this, guys and Sam you in particular are why I absolutely adore this place!! Easily the best and most amazing community in the world!! :D

I will be able to make a small donation but I'll make a nice big zoa pack to send her way :) definitely including some killer ones :)
I'm happy to auction off an orange or pink ric or something too :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Sam Parker - what is the plan for a 'presentation'. I assume that someone local might need to gather everything together and then present it at some stage rather than have various things turn up on her doorstep over days/weeks/months?? I know money is easier but it appears that a range of items may be donated.

Also, do we have a time period on this - we don't want her to sell the tank before we get everything ready :rolleyes

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thank you so much for all the replies already guys, really means a lot. I'd like to add that I don't personally know Ezza all that well - but I know she is a good soul and is a solid contributor around here. Also, as mentioned in the initial post, many moons ago she was involved in setting up a care pack for another member who fell upon hard times. I'd like to think as a group we can all look out for each other in extreme circumstances.

I have had contact from a number of silent members who have made cash donations which is brilliant, some a lot more generous than I had anticipated - but that is fantastic. I like the idea of many small donations from a large base of members though - so please feel free to chip in loose change!

@Wrangy - I love the zoa pack man, that is awesome - thanks heaps!

@MagicJ - excellent questions! Let's perhaps keep this going till the end of the month, we can then collate and arrange someone local to either deliver the goods or we can make a public or private post on here letting her know what we have raised and what she can expect to arrive over the next few days.

Let's keep it coming guys, this is fantastic!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ideally, we could organise something with her local LFS - we give them a sum of money and they provide stock to her at a discounted price - sort of like a gift card.

Anyone know who her local LFS is ? Anyone able to sort something like this out ?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Ideally, we could organise something with her local LFS - we give them a sum of money and they provide stock to her at a discounted price - sort of like a gift card.

Anyone know who her local LFS is ? Anyone able to sort something like this out ?
Right now I think we should focus on her receiving the funds to use on medical things, rather than an LFS getting paid to give her discounts. If she chooses to use the funds for her tank that is completely up to her. But I would rather the funds go directly to her rather than through an LFS.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I agree. She might have a bill that needs to be paid or something for her little one that would take presidence over the tank. I shut down my tank when I started having back spasms, priorities need to be kept in perspective.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
@Sam Parker - what is the plan for a 'presentation'. I assume that someone local might need to gather everything together and then present it at some stage rather than have various things turn up on her doorstep over days/weeks/months?? I know money is easier but it appears that a range of items may be donated.

Also, do we have a time period on this - we don't want her to sell the tank before we get everything ready :rolleyes
This! I hope the tank isn't shut down too soon.
Ill be sending a donation soon @Sam Parker

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
If we believe funds would be better, I'm happy to donate the sum made from the skimmer :) - Anybody know someone that wants to purchase a Tunze 9410?!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yes, let's strike before it is too late!

@Grimz - I think as you are actually close to Ezza's location and the fact that she is in need of a quality skimmer, this could work. Only if you are comfortable in donating it and probably also delivering/setting it up? (we don't want to create a burden of extra work for her at the moment)

If we could get a quality skimmer, some really nice looking and easy to care for zoa's and a decent little financial support pack - I think we could really make a difference in someone's life at a time of need. Thank you all very much for your suggestions, contributions and support.

Sam

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
@Sam Parker More then happy to drop off the skimmer/set it up - I'm not entirely sure what suburb Ezza lives in, I know she's in my state (NSW) which is a start ;)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
JAAzXAbdhaxa

Edit... lol how the fuck did that happen in my pocket???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.