Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Foxfaces
I've been seeing quite a few of these on my Kenya price lists for a decent price. I'm wondering how many people have them and if they've ever seen them nip at corals or clams like Live Aquaria says they do. I'm sure in the absence of algae they'll taste something outside of their diet. Apparently they're garbage disposals when it comes to algae removal. The ones I'm looking at are the Brown Spot Lo (Siganus stellatus) because of this article.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/hcs3/

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Ok we have had mixed success with the foxface. First one didn't touch corals but started bullying other fish - sold. Second one ate corals and he was well fed. - sold. Third one ate corals - sold. Now have Mag Foxface - nice nature and hasn't touched corals yet !

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Ok we have had mixed success with the foxface. First one didn't touch corals but started bullying other fish - sold. Second one ate corals and he was well fed. - sold. Third one ate corals - sold. Now have Mag Foxface - nice nature and hasn't touched corals yet !
@Lesley sounds nasty this foxface ... coral and being a bully ...although generally they are marked as peaceful in LA.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@Lesley sounds nasty this foxface ... coral and being a bully ...although generally they are marked as peaceful in LA.
It's actually quite common when they get large. I've had quite a few friends had to be very careful with larger foxy's bullying other tank mates. Trouble when they bully unlike most other fish they can inflict horrid damage. I suppose it also depends on the fish itself they are all different. They do smash GHA though !

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Right now, tiny size ones are showing up all over the Pacific as they've all settled out of the plankton and are growing. I'm gonna order a dozen to keep here as there must be a metric shittonne of phosphates in M's live rock. The hair algae isn't showing signs of letting up and I'm up to 120g of GFO on her 275l cube per week. :(

@potatocouch definitely do some research, the 1 spot is one of the smallest, but it still grows to about 18cm, while the Spotted one I want grows to 40+cm, WAY too large for my 350l cube so it's stay will not be long before I take it back to the shop.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I had a Foxface up to a couple of days ago. I am in mourning. It was peaceful and didn't eat my coral and was great a fish. Sounds like i might have got lucky. I noticed it wasn't eating much the other night and it was dead the next morning. I have no idea why. It looked great even when dead. Mine was a regular Foxface without the brown spot. The spines on its back can be mildly poisonous i am told so i was always a bit careful when putting my hand in the tank. They look particularly impressive when they extend their spines when disturbed by something. It did eat lots of algae but mostly micro algae. I did not see mine eating hair algae although i have read that they can do that.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Talking about human connection with their pets, funny enough i once think that I will never ever have such thing with fish.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Talking about human connection with their pets, funny enough i once think that I will never ever have such thing with fish.

I always thought this too, but I cried when my Emerald crab died...and then again with my little blenny Buddha.

scottme

Apr 26, 2015
Lake Maquarie
I have a large one spot and she is a great fish with a nice personality, plus bold and beautiful. Great eater and doesn't eat corals that I've seen. Only scares other fish because she is large compared to the rest and by chasing her doppelganger around the glass. She may have accidentally contributed to the death of a fish or two in a shallow-ish hospital tank. Very hardy fish too.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have to ask this ... @ReeferRob you live in USA right? what/where is this Kenya you keep mentioning in your post? :p
Yes, the USA. I import from all over the world, Kenya Africa is one of my favourite places to get fish from. They don't have much in the way of corals, but their fish are top notch. Madagascar has an availability this week so it looks like it's gonna be a long weekend for me, lol.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hey @ReeferRob do you reckon a small scribbled rabbitfish would get along with my large Foxface? The Foxface is easily the most docile fish in my tank.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'd say as long as they aren't coloured the same you'd be OK. I put 6 or so of the Fijis together and they seem to get on OK. But you have to remember, my coral runs are 3m long and 1.5m wide.