Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
found cool new addition to my tank today
nearly messed my self was swapping bio balls out of sump for some live rock la de lade da fishing away not a care in the world then some thing big moved and i mean big for my sump. have a almost black manits shrimp about 1.5" long will up load a piccy tommorow so some one can hopefully ID him for me think he might end up a sump dweller not sure if i trust the critter in the tanks with my fish

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
They are very interesting, the first time I saw one I was struck by how they can make eye contact with you - its very strange!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I will be happy to ID it for you. see if you can get a pic of the 2 coloured spots on the top of the front smashing arms (ie the menial spots). This is how you distinguish the different species. Good to see that you didn't kill the little tacker. I am sure that there are many people on this forum that will be willing to give him/her a home if you feel the need to get rid of it. The "smashers" which is what you are likely to have are generally well manered and feed primarily on crabs and othere CUC members. Fish are generally not the preferred prey.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Mantis shrimp are very cool and they have the fastest "prey strike" in the animal kingdom. In addition, the "smashes" hit with such force that cavitation (ie the formation and then immediate implosion of cavities in a liquid) helps to stun/kill their prey. Pretty damn cool for such a small critter. In time, these animals become very interactive and will "beg for food". Each has its own personality and they make fantastic pets when treated with respect.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
not the best piccy lil bugger would not sit still but u can sorta see the critter
View attachment 1166
This is one of the Gonodactylus species. Given the colouration it looks to be either G. falcatus (which will have yellow menial spots) of G. graphius (which will have orange menial spots). If the spots are dark blue with a white outline, then it is G. smithii. Enjoy, these are great animals and very forgiving when it comes to water quality.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
G. graphius (which will have orange menial spots
that what he bee will he love my sump bit worried about putting him in tank have some expensive fish and corals and worried he might eat them.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
will be very happy in your sump. I have a breeding pair set up in a tank that is approx 20L. They don't need a lot of room as long as they have shelters (rocks with holes in them) in which to live.