Reef Discussion

For the Newbies :)
Hey guys. Before you post anything regarding questions etc about your tank, say if somethings wrong. Make sure you give the most amount of infomation so we can help you out! Otherwise it takes longer to get the answer thus reducing the time we can help you out, sometimes this is crucial.

Attachments

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Could I suggest water source? There will always be someone who uses tap water for whatever reason. Could be handy for newbies that don't realise it's an issue, and aren't testing for phosphates. Also, SG hasn't been mentioned, but is worthy.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
So did I initially - and I've regretted it every day since :p
I figure it's a handy thing to find out though - some people do get some pretty nasty water out of the tap :mad:

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i always had issues with cyano when i was using tap water. i only used to use it when i could get to the LFS to buy some RO water :rolleyes

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Only issue I have is the occasional bloom of diatoms that use the silica in the tap water. Other than tha no issue. The diatoms provide food for my strombs

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I started with tap water. I believe my LFS also uses it... and aqua one salt.. and their water is a long way from ever being what I consider clear.
When I built an ATO, I started topping up with demineralised water I was buying at the supermarket - and used it to mix ASW. Eventually I managed to afford a RO/DI unit.
I still blame tap water for my algae, even if I can't find any phosphates in it :P

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes, tap water contains silica which incourages the growth of diatoms (the use the silica to form their shells). The diatoms appear as a brown algal slime but usually clear up when all the silica is removed. If you add something to remove silica from the water, the diatoms will not grow. On the plus side, using tap water is cheap and introduces elements not availinle from RO water. I say each to their own. We all have our own reasons for doing what we do and if you find a system that works, then stick with it ;-)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
An RO unit is definitely a good investment. i went RO rather then RODI as i wanted to be able to drink the water to. 2 birds with one stone