Reef Discussion

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Food
Hello all

Thought I would make a post about the various food I feed the...various stomatopods I keep :D the diversity in it all is mostly derived from frozen/pre-made food as opposed to live food. I don't usually have specific days as to which they get fed each particular type of food and have sometimes mixed it up for the sake of mixing it up ;).

Octopus, the ones I get are about golf ball sized and Morgoth my largest mantis will take a whole one whilst others I cut them up for.
aimg717.imageshack.us_img717_5536_babyoctopus.png

Prawns, being part of there diet normally particularly spearers, hence one of there common name "Prawn Assassin" the Prawns I get are quite large so Morgoth will take about 1/2-3/4 of it whole or up to that if I dice it up and feed him in intervals.
aimg829.imageshack.us_img829_8395_prawns.png

Whitebait, takes up the fish side of there diet also being neat ad small there easy to feed Morgoth easily takes one of these.
aimg593.imageshack.us_img593_9977_whitebait.png

Sand Crab, I dig the meat out of the carapace of the crab and Tweezer feed to each Mantis in order to cover this side of there diet and once again add to the diversity.
aimg839.imageshack.us_img839_3653_sandcrab.png

Pipi, this adds to more diversity in there diets, with the smashers I will leave the flesh on the pipi of in Maximus's case....throw a whole one in =) as for the Morgoth I will break one open and pull the flesh out feeding it too him with tweezers.
aimg819.imageshack.us_img819_2647_pipih.png

I like to consider the above more of "main courses" to top off each feeding there is also diced up Krill, Mysis & Brine Shrimp.
aimg833.imageshack.us_img833_2874_krillmysisbrineshrimp.png

Even those these things are gut buckets and what I have said above may sound like I over feed them....however this is not the case, they are fed 2-3times a week tops and can go over a week without food and have been reported to feed multiple times in a single day in the wild, it just depends on what they can capture and how much of it.

They are however clean animals, they discard and literal "throw away" anything that is unwanted interms of left over or just not hungry/wants something else, I let them all have there fill for a good 10-15mins then go back to check on the food that they have thrown out of there burrows in the hopes that either the current / that giant hand removes it further from there vicinity. :D

I like to think there happy being provided such a vast variety of food

Live Food comes down to starvation, opportunity. I have seen some of my smashers crack and eat the snails I have thrown in with them however they do not actively go for them as soon as I add them they are snacking on them in between meals. As for Morgoth the spearer well its hard to get footage of him capturing live prey since he feasts at will and there is still 4-5 fish left that he ca take at will, he knows when its dark and his chances increase either that or he waits for that big hand with random tasty things. :p

All in all I just hope there happy and that this helps to provide an understand in what I feed my mantis shrimps.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Theres some food for thought... I will be getting some more food for my mantis this week and might try out some pipi's and some whitebait if I cut them up enough I will be able to tweezer feed them to my little mantis.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Nice post Kharn . It is always good to see what others feed their animals. Have you noticed any prey specificity between the smashers and the spearers in captivity in relation to pre-killed items (ie. Does the spearer preferentially select fish meat and the smashers pipi and prawn?

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
To be honest I have not noticed that much of a difference in what either of them like....

having said that...

I can guarantee that at each feeding one mantis will always turn his/her nose up at the first thing I offer, I keep offering one of the items I listed above until they finally accept it :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
FYI

Putting in the schematics for my ultimate multi-mantis setup this week =D I have finally come down to a design I am happy with, it is 10 tanks although most are divided into two which grants me access to 20 mantis shrimp!

I plan on taking detailed pics of everything but won't post it all till I'm done =) a Month if that

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Just on that subject of Food for my Mantis shrimps.

Sometimes I will not use Whitebait as the 'fish' nutrient rather a more oily rich fish/pelagic fish such as mullet or Tuna, this is a bit more messy to prepare but I am positive it has more nutrients in it then the Whitebait.

Pelagic means Oily Fish (many people think Pelagic means Predatory Sports Fish....tell that to the mullet :D)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Pelagic means living in the water column/open water of the ocean. Mullet are a demersal(bentho pelagic) species, meaning they live on or around structure at the bottom of the ocean.

Demersal fish can be divided into two main types: strictly benthic fish which can rest on the sea floor, and benthopelagic fish which can float in the water column just above the sea floor. (wikipedia)

The majority of sports fish are pelagic species.

The correct term for oily fish is "oily fish"!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Pelagic means living in the water column/open water of the ocean. Mullet are a demersal(bentho pelagic) species, meaning they live on or around structure at the bottom of the ocean.

Demersal fish can be divided into two main types: strictly benthic fish which can rest on the sea floor, and benthopelagic fish which can float in the water column just above the sea floor. (wikipedia)

The majority of sports fish are pelagic species.

The correct term for oily fish is "oily fish"!
I like to simplify it and I was a fish monger in a differen't life (worked at the Fish Factory in Colmslie)

When there we refered to Pelagic as "Oily Fish" and Labelled them as such on the counter 'Pelagic - oily fish'

How many people out there would know about the water columns and how they differen't interms of what fish swims where and how it is affected by it etc etc.

It helped many people whom were curious as to this strange "pel-age-ic" ?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I like to simplify it and I was a fish monger in a differen't life (worked at the Fish Factory in Colmslie)

When there we refered to Pelagic as "Oily Fish" and Labelled them as such on the counter 'Pelagic - oily fish'

How many people out there would know about the water columns and how they differen't interms of what fish swims where and how it is affected by it etc etc.

It helped many people whom were curious as to this strange "pel-age-ic" ?
I think that we can just be happy with the TERM pelagic as meaning living near the surface of water-column.

That lovely source of information known as Wikipedia defines pelagic fish as:

"Pelagic fish live near the surface or in the water column of coastal, ocean and lake waters, but not on the bottom of the sea or the lake. They can be contrasted with demersal fish, which do live on or near the bottom, and reef fish which are associated with coral reefs"

Whilst this definition may not necessarily be true for all industries, certianly in the scientific world, it is correct.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
My stomatopods officially eat better then me....

Me n my spag bowls 3 times a week xD

It's too bad that I can't cook and prepare there food in the same manner I do for myself so I can just pull a homer simpson at feeding time =D "one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me...." however I have a feeling that the garlic butter and chilli hot sauce amongst other things will make it less attractive to my stomatopods...

having said that I did read an article in a magazine about a giant gourami that had to be given to a pet store because he could no longer care for it, when they asked its diet...........100% all the time nothing other then........Kit Kat Bars! CHOCOLATE and it THRIVED on it!

fatty boom boom =)
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-news/2011/08/10/kit-kat-eating-gourami.aspx