Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Flow In Sps Tanks
So I stumbled across this beauty of a video the other day and it's made me come to release that I've been seriously underflow in my tank! I'm definitely going to be cranking up the flow throughout my tank!!
Any thoughts or comments on flow in sps dominated tanks? Would be keen to hear some input from everyone :)

Full screen and HD is worthwhile for this one!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Mmmmmm fury Millie!!!

Not many of those actually had a lot of flow Dom, they looked pretty hectic due to the extreme polyp extension, but that's about it?

Pretty good video considering the camera is far from top end. Goes to show what a good macro can do!

Sam

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Mmmmmm fury Millie!!!

Not many of those actually had a lot of flow Dom, they looked pretty hectic due to the extreme polyp extension, but that's about it?

Pretty good video considering the camera is far from top end. Goes to show what a good macro can do!

Sam
Some really nice acro's in there!

Given the size of the tank this was filmed in and the movement of water that would be required to get that kind of movement, the pushing power around the tank must be pretty massive! While some of the acro's didn't have huge amounts of flow on them directly it shows the amount of overall water movement going on throughout the tank lol some of the acro's are getting crazy flow though!

The macro shots are amazing though, pays to have a good camera and lens and know what you're doing haha

Edit: Nice find! Does look pretty hectic flow wise in there.
Thanks, I was doing a bit of searching on flow in tanks and came across that little video :) ooking to ramp my flow up now too!

E

ezza

High levels of watermotion required. That's the crux of what I know. My wave makers are utterly useless. I hate them. I wish there was a cheap solution to the problem. I look forward to investing in a decent something one day. Dr Schell has some amazing movement in his system.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Heck I've got 2x Tunze 6105's and 2x Tunze 6055's and I don't think I'd have that kind of flow. Then again, some spots are full on, others a little more calm

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hey Dom. FYI... In my tank I have 2 x 6055 (5000lph each) & 1 x 6095 (9500lph ) all set to 40-95% . They rotate flow but the 2 smaller pumps click on together.
Plus a 3000lph tunze return pump (be about 1.5k after it flows up from the sump).
Add all that up an I still think I would like one more.
Tank size is about 300l.
Trick is to have a lot of flow but make it indirectly to your corals.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Hey Dom. FYI... In my tank I have 2 x 6055 (5000lph each) & 1 x 6095 (9500lph ) all set to 40-95% . They rotate flow but the 2 smaller pumps click on together.
Plus a 3000lph tunze return pump (be about 1.5k after it flows up from the sump).
Tank size is about 300l.
Nice amount of flow kicking through the tank! I'm going to try and have 3000lph sump turnover after head loss and a heap more throughout the tank, I'll just have to relocate my zoa's and ric's though. The new tank I might be getting should make that a lot easier though!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm gonna add the second Jebao WP10 to the RSM 130D tomorrow and see what happens. If you think your SPS need flow, try a ritteri, lol i think they'd be happy in the surf during a typhoon. I damn near typed hurricane, but y'all have to be different in the southern hemisphere. ;)

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Tank size is about 300l.
Correction , i do have enough flow. I just i need to give them a vinegar bath more often
o_0