Reef Discussion

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
fish ideas for 90l tank
so I'm looking to add some more fish to my 90l tank which currently is housing a fijian damsel, couple peppermint shrimp, and the rest of my clean up crew. so fish need to be 100% reef safe. I'm really struggling to think of what to put in there. i want a pair of clowns, and I'm thinking a nice pair of maroon clowns would be cool. i think 4 fish is plenty, so really its just one more fish i need to come up with. i was thinking a fire fish, but i got a hoodless tank and their known to jump..anyone got any ideas? something nice and different thats fun to watch in the tank?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You might need to rethink your clown selection - maroon clowns can grow to 14cm and can have a nasty temperament. A recommended minimum tank size for a pair would be around 250 litres.

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
You might need to rethink your clown selection - maroon clowns can grow to 14cm and can have a nasty temperament. A recommended minimum tank size for a pair would be around 250 litres.
yeah, i was just reading up on them right now actually..and the temperament dosnt bother me much..cause i could accommodate by putting some other aggressive fish with it..i mean i got a damsel already, and i only want 4 fish...but the size is a bit worrying..maybe i could keep them as juveniles but your right they'll most likely too big....you mention 250 litres for a pair would be a good size..do you think that a maroon clown alone could do with a smaller tank? (just out of curiosity)......

I'm really leaning towards going out and getting a pair of fire fish..i just read that they tend to jump only if stressed out.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
i have a pair of maroons in my tank, which would be about 120l of water, they are actually looking like they will breed

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
a pair of 6 line wrasses would be nice. As long as there are cracks and crevices for the shrimp to retreat into, the cuc will be fine. They will control bristle worms and flat worms. Only issue may be jumping, but if they are secure in the tank, they will be fine.
They are great little fish and don't grow too large and are generally well mannered (at least in my experience)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
a pair of 6 line wrasses would be nice. As long as there are cracks and crevices for the shrimp to retreat into, the cuc will be fine. They will control bristle worms and flat worms. Only issue may be jumping, but if they are secure in the tank, they will be fine.
They are great little fish and don't grow too large and are generally well mannered (at least in my experience)
Males have NO WHITE SPOT in the rear black osscelli at the base of the tail. Females have a tiny white spot in the osscelli. Keep the pair together at all times, otherwise the female will turn into a male and the two will fight.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Hey doc when you say at all times what times frame you talking till she turns ? Can you ship them seperatly or do they need to be bagged together ?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
you need to keep an eye on the fish at your LFS. The females will change sex in a mapper of weeks when kept alone. Buy one, keep it alone for a month until it looses the whit spot (at which time it will be a male). Then look for a newly caught fish at the shop (with a white spot, and put it in with the existing male (in your quarintene tank). Keep them together and they will not fight. Males are much larger than females. Look at the following to see my pair in the proces of spawning:

Tang

Jul 21, 2011
Sydney
Orchids are for girls. Like Matt Green.

If you want anything to do well in that firstly I'd look at removing the damsel.

Then add a gramma, like a Royal.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Orchids are for girls. Like Matt Green.

If you want anything to do well in that firstly I'd look at removing the damsel.

Then add a gramma, like a Royal.
orchids are so much nicer then grammas! agree with the removal of the damsel.