Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Try to let the Xenia grow out some to use up the phosphates. I use them in trays in my systems as a nutrient sink. Xenia uses a hell of a lot of phosphates and nitrates. Since they have lost the ability to feed they uptake nutrients much faster than other corals.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
25ml for around 6 months
Vinegar is 8 times weaker than vokda.

Every system is different but modest "medium" stocked 400l tanks run around 75ml/day

Vinegar is less likely to give cyno than vodka or other ethanol sources so perhaps stick with vinegar for the time being but look at increasing at 5mls per week until you start getting on top of it and then try to reduce to you find your maintenance levels.

I agree with the xenia comment and having a giant patch of that can be better than a skimmer IMO.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Try to let the Xenia grow out some to use up the phosphates. I use them in trays in my systems as a nutrient sink. Xenia uses a hell of a lot of phosphates and nitrates. Since they have lost the ability to feed they uptake nutrients much faster than other corals.
Thanks, My xenia is growing mad so hopefully they will heap

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Vinegar is 8 times weaker than vokda.

Every system is different but modest "medium" stocked 400l tanks run around 75ml/day

Vinegar is less likely to give cyno than vodka or other ethanol sources so perhaps stick with vinegar for the time being but look at increasing at 5mls per week until you start getting on top of it and then try to reduce to you find your maintenance levels.

I agree with the xenia comment and having a giant patch of that can be better than a skimmer IMO.
thanks i will try that

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Don't go crazy and add a lot more. Go up 1ml/3 days for 12 days, then retest to see where your levels are. Like this:
Day 1-26ml
2-26ml
3-26ml
4-27ml
5-27ml
6-27ml
7-28ml
9-28ml
10-29ml
11-29ml
12-29ml
Test

I jacked mine up 5ml right out of the box and sent my leathers into shit fits after 3 days.