Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Fish Food
Hi, I have been having trouble getting flakes for my fish lately, and a guy at the LFS, asked why i wanted flakes, that not many people use it, is there a reason why??

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I find pellets better for most fish and less wasteful

flakes tend to float and go over the weir if you don't mix it down in the water first and if you do normally it breaks up too fine or too clumpy

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I find pellets better for most fish and less wasteful

flakes tend to float and go over the weir if you don't mix it down in the water first and if you do normally it breaks up too fine or too clumpy
I have some large tangs and a rabbit fish that love the flakes,what would be the best diet for them and do flakes cause higher nitrates then other food?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If it is working for you and you have no issues I wouldn't be concerned, just make sure its a high quality balanced flake you are using.

If you want to cater to the tangs and rabbitfish, strips of unflavoured nori either on a clip or tied to a piece of rock is awesome and something I would look at doing at least a couple of times a week for them.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-nsw-regional-kirrawee/product/obento-sushi-sheets-seaweed-yaki-nori

Vitalis/new era do some grazer blocks that have really high algae content that they can graze on over the course of the day, which is how they more naturally eat

https://www.thetechden.com.au/Vitalis_Marine_Grazer_Mini_110g_was_New_Era_p/110526.htm

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
If it is working for you and you have no issues I wouldn't be concerned, just make sure its a high quality balanced flake you are using.

If you want to cater to the tangs and rabbitfish, strips of unflavoured nori either on a clip or tied to a piece of rock is awesome and something I would look at doing at least a couple of times a week for them.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-nsw-regional-kirrawee/product/obento-sushi-sheets-seaweed-yaki-nori

Vitalis/new era do some grazer blocks that have really high algae content that they can graze on over the course of the day, which is how they more naturally eat

https://www.thetechden.com.au/Vitalis_Marine_Grazer_Mini_110g_was_New_Era_p/110526.htm
Thanks, I do struggle with nitrates, I give them nori every second day, was every day, my rabbit fish begs for it

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Well I guess your options are to feed less/better or filter more.

How fat are your fish?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Well I guess your options are to feed less/better or filter more.

How fat are your fish?
They are fatish, I have tried every thing to bring them down, I need to get rid of some fish, think i am over stocked

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
They are fatish, I have tried every thing to bring them down, I need to get rid of some fish, think i am over stocked
Most people overestimate how much food fish actually need because they are always keen on food and it looks to make them happy and well we want to make them happy :)

I use cheap measuring spoons and try to get it to a balance where you will always have one fatso and one that is a bit skinnier than you like but most are falling somewhere in between.

I also try and skip feeding 2 days a week, for me its Monday and Friday.

Try that before reducing the number of fish

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Most people overestimate how much food fish actually need because they are always keen on food and it looks to make them happy and well we want to make them happy :)

I use cheap measuring spoons and try to get it to a balance where you will always have one fatso and one that is a bit skinnier than you like but most are falling somewhere in between.

I also try and skip feeding 2 days a week, for me its Monday and Friday.

Try that before reducing the number of fish
Thanks again, In one tank I have 3 x large tangs, Large rabbit, 2 x clown, coral beauty, 3x gobies a spotted dragnet a blue chromis, banned shrimp and cleaner shrimp, snails and star fish in the other i have very large nasco and sailfin tang, large yellow tang, 2 x clown, flame angle, 2 x hawks, wrasse, Mandarin, banned shrimp, snails and anemone, I feed each tank ....1 x myis 1 x brine shrimp 1 x copepods , 3 x pinches of flakes and 1 of pellets also nori every second day, is this too much?I also have clams
IMG_3135.JPG

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Are you having nutrient related issues like algae, stunted growth, poor colours, coral deaths etc?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
What is your primary method of filtration on the tanks?
I just have a coral box protein shimmer , I have tried bio-pellets but caused algae problems and no-pox causes a fungus brake out, I am using vinegar at the moment and do 100lt water change a week

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think the short answer is you could be feeding less and there are things you can do like going from flakes to a high-quality pellet, rinsing the frozen etc But is suspect you really love your fish and this is your way of showing that love and if you don't have any losses, color loss or algae issues I wouldn't be overly concerned and suggest massive changes because the tank looks like you are doing a lot more right than you would be wrong.

If you are playing around with vinegar dosing I think looking towards increasing the dose slowly should be able to help with some of the numbers you have, id probably look at doing VSV rather than straight V to try and get some of those phosphates as well and hoping that doesnt cause you any issues like you have had with other broader spectrum carbon sources.

Things like your xenia and clams will also help as they get bigger they become a filter all by themselves.

You can look at different media blocks ect as well

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I think the short answer is you could be feeding less and there are things you can do like going from flakes to a high-quality pellet, rinsing the frozen etc But is suspect you really love your fish and this is your way of showing that love and if you don't have any losses, color loss or algae issues I wouldn't be overly concerned and suggest massive changes because the tank looks like you are doing a lot more right than you would be wrong.

If you are playing around with vinegar dosing I think looking towards increasing the dose slowly should be able to help with some of the numbers you have, id probably look at doing VSV rather than straight V to try and get some of those phosphates as well and hoping that doesnt cause you any issues like you have had with other broader spectrum carbon sources.

Things like your xenia and clams will also help as they get bigger they become a filter all by themselves.

You can look at different media blocks ect as well[/QUOTE

You can look at different media blocks ect as well
Thanks, what dose would you recommend I use for 400lt tanks, fish are all healthy looking.... touch wood..., even mandarin is has fat belly, the problem is I think is I purchased fish when I first started with my tanks not knowing the cute little thing would grow into a really big fish, and now i have had them for years, I hate to part with them, unless they went to good homes, I also have a small tank with 1 large maroon clown, she had 1 anemone and now there are 5, i will have to do something there, I do not have a nitrate problem in that tank