Reef Discussion

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
Fish Food - What Do You Feed And Why?
Hi,

I've tried all sorts of fish foods including home made, sinking, floating, pellets, flakes, etc. Currently I mostly have small fish so I use small food but what I'm really wondering is what you feed and why. This could also provide insight to new & experienced reefers alike.

What brand do you use, what size, floating or sinking, pellets or flake, etc and of course why.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
As for me, I have a home made mix of fresh seafoods, garlic and spirulina that I blend up finely, freeze, then smash into bits with a rolling pin. Although all my fish have a crack at it, it's only really popular with my monster brittlestar and my supposedly vegetarian blenny.

The same applies to Ocean Nutrition frozen krill which I wouldn't buy again unless I have larger fish as it's just too big.

All my tank inhabitants (except the cucumber of course) love Ocean Nutrition frozen blood worms & the lobster eggs.

I also use Spectrum floating 1mm pellets but I'm sick of seeing them go in the overflow so I might try sinking next.

In addition I have about three other pellets and two types of flake I bought as part of a package from a reefer quitting the hobby. None of which I will replace when used up.

I try to vary the diet of my critters quite a bit.

Reactions: Rob
Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
New Life Spectrum pellets 3x day - I never get tired of complimenting this food. I could see the difference in fish coloration and helth and even my Dragonets eat it.

Nori (dried seaweed used for Sushi) every other day, for my tangs.

Mysis shrimp occasionally for my Bangaii Cardinal.

Reefroids every other night - for filter feeders.

Recently started experimenting with New Life LPS pellets, for my LPS corals. So far, so good.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
IM also a spectrum pellet fan however I use a feeder ring and it works fantastic. Stop the pellets floating into the overflow and also sometimes does a slow release. I have a power head clsoe by so as they sink it gets blown around

I also use Spectrum floating 1mm pellets but I'm sick of seeing them go in the overflow so I might try sinking next.
feeder.jpg

Maybe once a month (should do it more often) I get a mussel, open it up, leave the flesh in half the shell and place the shell in my TLF clip. I just clip it in the centre of the shell/flesh and it holds in place nicely

Last edited:

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I feed twice a day, one feed is a cube of frozen Mysis and the other feed is a good pinch of spectrum pellets.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
New Life Spectrum pellets 3x day - I never get tired of complimenting this food. I could see the difference in fish coloration and helth and even my Dragonets eat it.

Nori (dried seaweed used for Sushi) every other day, for my tangs.

Mysis shrimp occasionally for my Bangaii Cardinal.

Reefroids every other night - for filter feeders.

Recently started experimenting with New Life LPS pellets, for my LPS corals. So far, so good.
Is the mysis frozen or dried?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hmmmm, ok here goes :)

morn - seaweed mix of purple,green and brown.1 piece of each (Ocean Nutrition)
Lunch - either serve of sinking granules or flake (new life Spectrum)
dinner time - frozen - 3 pellets 1 mysis 1 brine 1 x spirulina ( Hikari)
before bed snack - 3 x sheets of seaweed

No wonder every single time we walk near the tank they think its food time.
Hadn't actually thought about it until you asked, just did it.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I used to (no tank anymore...) feed NLS pellets and will recommend them to anyone and everyone. Everything I kept ate them and thrived, even fussy dragonets. I tried nori and nothing was interested in it even my tang. I would give frozen mysis as a treat when I felt like it. But my favourite food was NLS micro reef feeder (I think that was the name?) which is a superfine powder that I would add to feed NPS coral originally which were kept in a separate tank that was connected to my main tank via the sump and whenever I would feed the NPS tank the coral, fish and others in the main tank would go beserk! And I mean jumping out of the tank kind of crazy! so I started feeding it to the main tank as well and got amazing colour and growth from all inhabitants!

In the end I made a mash of the NLS powder, nori, whole fresh caught fish (whiting, tommies or mackerel), squid, mussels, oysters, prawns, cockles, fresh roe and a bunch of frozen mysis all blended into a smooth paste. I would freeze it in zip lock bags in thin sheets and would break bits off and stick them to my powerheads to defrost and disperse through the tank. It was the best food I used but was a PITA to prepare!