Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
fish disease
I came home yesterday to find my newly acquired powered brown tang dead covered in white fluff just wanted to see if anyone had ideas as to what may have been the cause to me it doesnt look like ich but I could be wrong (see pic below). I'm kicking myself for not pre treating the tank given the type of fish.

The night before it was fine, was pecking at nori but not feeding full on, but to be expected as it had only been in the tank for a few days. I left for work around 4am had a quick look over at the tank and did see it moving about in there but it was rather dark and didn't want to startle it turning the lights on, misses said she did see it do a few laps of the tank when she left for work but didn't really have a close look at it. Got home at 6pm to find it dead.

The story with this fish is I bought it site unseen from a photo the LFS put up on their FB page they had 2 powered browns in stock, an LFS I have used many time before and have found is good. To my eye the pic was of an A.Japonicus I'm still 99% sure the pic was, however what I picked up was an A.nigricans both known as powdered brown tangs (common names are shit) I didn't think too much of it till later when I read a few pages online such as http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm which puts the japonicus as a good tank hardy species and the nigricans as a disease riddled crap fish..... oh great.

My main question is what now? I want to try again with another proper A.japonicus (in a few weeks time) this was in my QT and am going to leave it up and running till I get my last couple of fish, onyx clowns and tang. So do I treat my QT and leave it treated so when I quarantine my next fish any pest will die, more shock to the fish but I know plenty of people do it.

This was all fluff, when I picked the fish up a fair bit of it fell off
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_20130129_180101_1.jpg

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Sorry to hear :(

On phone, bit look up chucks addiction marine diseases. See if you see it there (decent pics).

Personally I'd be draining the QT, sanitizing it and starting again. I'd hate to take the risk of leaving it with the potential for dormant trophonts etc. I treat my QT like a operating theatre.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for that @Meller, a quick flick through that site has me leaning towards brooklynella parasite, with the white fluff being excess mucus production. By the sounds of it I may have missed some of the early signs by just writing them off to a bit of stress from being moved to a new tank.

INFECTION INDICATORS - The usual first indication would show itself as rapid breathing and loss of coloration in the head area of the fish, followed by obvious excessive mucous sloughing off of the fish, Excessive mucous may not be confined to the head area, it may show up anywhere upon the fish. Scraping itself against other objects in the tank may also be seen as the fish trys to dislodge the parasite, you may also notice the fish has lost its appetite and remains listless or hides constantly
I think I will take your advice and pull it down and give it a good clean out. Would feel like a bit of a fool having another fish catch them

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
that sucks man... was a beauty!

sterilize everything and set it up again when you get another fish. keep some sponge in your sump for the filter then you wont need to cycle it at all.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Well where I bought this from seems to have lost all of their fish last week :( I'm not sure if it was connected at all but would not surprise me

Feb 12, 2013
Adelaide
Hmm, wonder who you bought that from??? Bugger for you Josh, If its the shop im thinking of only 1 orange spot goby survived,although tests i did showed traces of ammonia in the water, but they could have all been infected back from the collector? Would UV help? I would def shut down and sterilizee the QT,which sucks.