Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Fish Compatibility
Are you guys having issue when putting live stock (in this subject, fish) in your display tank?

Do you guys face the issue where you *think based on Live Aquaria compatibility chart* 2 species will get along, but in fact, they don't?

For those that have been following my story, you know that I have taken out the Yellow Tang and in the breeder box; one has expressed his interest to pick him/her up tomorrow arvo. As much as I love YT, i *think* @MagicJ is correct .... its territorial and aggressiveness may be the resultant of 55 gallon tank.

Anyway ... so ... I can now start populating my CADE HL600 with more fish (I hope) and these what I have in mind:
  1. Assessor Yellow ... having a quick look ... this has been marked as 'N' in Live Aquaria CC ... is this definitely no go with Orchid DB?
  2. Yellow Watchman Goby
  3. Blenny Orange spotted (I need someone to eat Algae since YT is now being redundant).
  4. What other fish can I put in, that will go along with 2 Clowns & 1 Orchid DB?
Wrasse is definitely a no-go, right?
Boxfish is definitely a no-go, right?
Damsel is definitely a no-go, right?
Chromis is definitely a no-go, right?

Apology for the long post ....

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Promise I will get to how my post relates to your eventually...

In my most recent update my big news was the addition of new fish to my tank. In doing so I made a decision to ignore a number of commonly held reefing guidelines/wisdoms. ie. add new fish slowly, especially if the tank is in its early stages, always quarantine new fish before adding to the DT.

In my case I added four new fish at the same time to my 10.5 week old tank. This was not the plan at all. I had planned to follow a 1 fish per week rule and QT them all.

One of the major factors in my decision, besides the fact that a local reefer was selling 4 out of the 6 fish on my desired fish list all in the one sale, was that all four fish had been 2-3 year inhabitants of his tank with no aggression or issues with each other. So I pulled the trigger and all four fish are now in their new home. Will be doing more freq water changes and monitoring params closely for the next few weeks. They seem to have settled in really well.

As you or someone mentioned in your other post, we can research all the general fish compatibility info we like, but at the end of the day, every fish has a unique temperament, just like people I suppose.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Are you guys having issue when putting live stock (in this subject, fish) in your display tank?

Do you guys face the issue where you *think based on Live Aquaria compatibility chart* 2 species will get along, but in fact, they don't?
Yes! I keep very small fish that are on the most docile end of the spectrum and I still have issues with compatibility. At times I can't find the answer to my question on compatibility and have to decide whether to leave it or find out for myself if a certain mix of fish is going to work.

Once you have your final fish mix sorted things should be peaceful for you for some time as long as you don't go upsetting the balance by adding more fish.

Try to add fish that will occupy different zones of the tank - burrowers, rock dwellers, top water column fish. Generally if one fish resembles another in shape and size there will be problems. I would say an Assessor and an Orchid dottyback are going to have a problem with one another for that reason - but haven't tried it myself or seen eg's of others who have.

There are many wrasse species, if you do your research there will be some you could keep.

No to the boxfish just simply due to flow/feeding needs. Some can also be a bit mean to the other fish.

I am told Allen's Damsels can be kept in groups long term and are peaceful - haven't experienced it for myself yet.

Vanderbilt Chromis are gaining in popularity - there is a group of them in a display tank in Geelong and they don't appear to have had any losses and when I have been there they look to be peaceful with one another.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yellow tangs are one of those fish that, if you get a peaceful one, it's great. If you get a jerk of the bunch, your life will be hell and so will his/her tankmates. In a 2ft cube, your chances of having luck with one are very slim. Any of the Escienus blennys would be a great choice for algae control and they have great personalities.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
....... if you get a peaceful one, it's great. If you get a jerk of the bunch, your life will be hell and so will his/her tankmates.
This the problem, we (I) don't know if a fish we put in is a jerk or a well-mannered one. Perhaps you're right .. the tank size may have changed him from well-mannered to jerk.

The other solution is to upgrade ... hehehe which is currently out-of-question ....

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
My advice would be to get the smallest Yellow tang you can find to start out with and put it in last.
I will take your advice @ReeferRob

I do have the smallest YT but the potential problem is, i don't think I put in last.

What's the chance of dottyback being killed by YT .. people think it's the other way around LOL

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Dottybacks are tough cookies mate. I watched a mated pair chase off a HUGE Emporer angel in Eliat, Israel, they broke cover and chased it a good 10m and they were not happy that I was there either. The one we had in the 240 was a miserable little shit. I think the Comet finally dispatched him one night as the sun was setting over the tank, lol. Once he was gone there was peace in the tank again.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Dottybacks are tough cookies mate. I watched a mated pair chase off a HUGE Emporer angel in Eliat, Israel, they broke cover and chased it a good 10m and they were not happy that I was there either. The one we had in the 240 was a miserable little shit. I think the Comet finally dispatched him one night as the sun was setting over the tank, lol. Once he was gone there was peace in the tank again.
Mind you that this is Orchid ... but still within Pseudochromis class ... I heard it's the most peaceful one .. that's why maybe it doesn't survive being bullied by YT.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Quite possible and if it's tank raised it could have a milder temperament as well. Some of the tank raised fish have a milder disposition.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
There's a dottyback for sale locally - was thinking I'd like it. Would it get on with a very aggressive clown fish if i added both to a new tank at the same time?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
There's a dottyback for sale locally - was thinking I'd like it. Would it get on with a very aggressive clown fish if i added both to a new tank at the same time?
I think the answer to this is really depends on the fish itself. Last week when I asked about a fish in one of the LFS, I haven't even finished my sentence and he cut me off and said "it really depends on your fish, I can't answer that .... " LOL ... one, I think he is rude, two, I think he is very not helpful .. but three, I think he is right.

You can read and memorize as much as possible about marine fish compatibility chart but to know whether they will get along or not is by executing the plan.

The above are my 2 cents and am sure some people may disagree :)

@MagicJ @Lesley @Agent M @Sam Parker @ReeferRob @daveH @ezza do you know where I can find a list of fish by its territory ... i.e. Clown Fish - Open Space Swimmer, Dotty Back - Rock Dweller, Gobies - Sand Dweller ... etc ?

I used the keyword of "marine fish by territory" in Google but no hit LOL o_0

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I use this site all the time love it. You can get info about where they are from. Size , feeding & compatibility. Even hadvd a comparability chart. Reef safe , add with caution. Etc. I always use it when in lfs considering any new purchase. http://www.liveaquaria.com

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@MagicJ @Lesley @Agent M @Sam Parker @ReeferRob @daveH @ezza do you know where I can find a list of fish by its territory ... i.e. Clown Fish - Open Space Swimmer, Dotty Back - Rock Dweller, Gobies - Sand Dweller ... etc ?
I use Youtube, google a particular fish I'm interested in and observation at the LFS to work that out. I look for any snippiness amongst the fish and pick out the ones with the nicest personalities in most cases - especially if they interact with me through the glass, love that!