New To Reefing

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
My whole setup is second hand...including some of the fish! That actually goes for all the aquariums in our house, right down to the stands (built with reclaimed lumber).

Years ago, before my hubby and I got married, he had a 240 gallon reef tank. We bought the tiniest lion fish I've ever seen (before or since)...he was about an inch long. I turned that little guy into a pet, he would eat flake food from my hand. I also had a small snowflake moray that I would hand feed live foods. I had to watch him though, he occasionally bit me, but since I know those guys have bad eyesight, I didn't worry too much about it. Thankfully he was small, so it didn't hurt much. :)

Good luck with your tank, I hope this hobby brings you lots of enjoyment!

vampy95

Mar 3, 2015
My whole setup is second hand...including some of the fish! That actually goes for all the aquariums in our house, right down to the stands (built with reclaimed lumber).

Years ago, before my hubby and I got married, he had a 240 gallon reef tank. We bought the tiniest lion fish I've ever seen (before or since)...he was about an inch long. I turned that little guy into a pet, he would eat flake food from my hand. I also had a small snowflake moray that I would hand feed live foods. I had to watch him though, he occasionally bit me, but since I know those guys have bad eyesight, I didn't worry too much about it. Thankfully he was small, so it didn't hurt much. :)

Good luck with your tank, I hope this hobby brings you lots of enjoyment!
thanks so much ^_^ i'm actually tossing up between a blue ribbon eel or a snowflake eel so hard to decide both are stunning animals

vampy95

Mar 3, 2015
Snowflakes for beginers, ribbons for pros.
snowflake eel it is then along with one lion fish watching a video right now of a snowflake eel beiing fed and just thinking man I want one I imagine my tank is big enough to keep one?

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
I wouldnt get the eel a small bristlenose log, its too small, and too rough maybe. Your tank is large enough, but that cave is not.

evan north

Feb 6, 2016
I sold my G220 skimmer on ebay and I felt bad for the person who bought it. It did work good some days, I just couldnt get it to behave long term. That quote by Eric Borneman made me want to marry the guy. Theres a smart man!
I have the g216 as supplied with my tank and havent even bothered unboxing it. This will most likely go on ebay or in the bin.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
I have the g216 as supplied with my tank and havent even bothered unboxing it. This will most likely go on ebay or in the bin.
I am sure with a few mods they could be a great skimmer. I just found them fiddly for noobs and me. But sure theres people who have changed and improved. Lot of them got sold, and the aquarium hobby has more amateur mcgyvers than most.