Tank Journal Archive

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
First Month
Hi All,
I think it is time for an update.
I painted the cabinet and put in its allocated place and a war broke out between my wife and I .
I may have not included the cabinet in the dimensions and it stuck out and kinda made the hall way appear a little claustrophobic.
The solution was to build a Mancave / fishroom downstairs in an room that's about 5mx5m.
There was a bit of work just to get it insulated and cleaned out and
I was extremely pissed off about this even when I dropped a shit load of water on the floor that would of been on our new floorboards.
it wasn't till I dropped the PVC glue all over the floor downstairs that I conceded it was a good idea....lol
IMG_20170125_165925.jpg
IMG_20170125_170007.jpg
IMG_20170125_170030.jpg
IMG_20170125_170137.jpg

SO....Just prior to Christmas I took delivery of the tank . I filled it and then on boxing day I transferred all my live stock from their holding tanks into the new tank.
it's been holding steady since but I am facing a battle with cyanobacteria.
I am not going to panic I will just let it run its course with a little stir from time to time.

I have also noticed that a lot of my SPS lost a lot of colour .This isn't surprising considering the neglect I gave the tanks while we renovated .

I also upgraded my CALRX to a SKIMZ CM152 as the Deltec was a little undersized for my SPS demand.
The Jeabo pumps turned out to be a PIA.
One died and I checked the date it was a year and 3days old. I contacted Fish-street only to be told by Eric that they only have a 3 month warranty (NEVER AGAIN)
The other Jeabo pump has lost approximately 50% of its power.

So I am now saving up for a Tunze 6105 to add to my other Tunze pumps.
The other thing that has done my head in is the New APEX .
It took me a few days to figure out that it was following UCT time and not local time but after a reboot it come good.
The WIFI keeps dropping out so I will have to run a Ethernet cable to it and the Salt probe was a PIA .
The Challenge ahead is now to regain that colour on the SPS
You may want to look away for the last one photo.
IMG_20170125_170143.jpg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Tank looks great! LOVE the light.
Apparently my giesemann just arrived the other day :D
Man cave/fishroom doesn't sound all that bad either!
I'll enjoy seeing this progress

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Tank looks great! LOVE the light.
Apparently my giesemann just arrived the other day :D
Man cave/fishroom doesn't sound all that bad either!
I'll enjoy seeing this progress
Thanks mate . Which light fixture did you go for?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I went with the Spectra as the tank will be 80cm front to back.
What globes and tubes are you running?
With the T5's I went for 2x 80w ATI aquablue special and 2x80w blue plus but I think i need to change one at least to actinic.
with the MH I went for 2x250w Giesemann Megachrome the 21k Version.
My fixture uses double ended globes , I think that is the only difference between the Spectra and the infinity ,
The Lamps are a little more expensive however the Giesemann Megachrome globes are supposed to last 2+ years.....Time will tell.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I will never doubt you again
shit can go wrong with anything though. That being said, was chatting with another member on this site who has a fairly comprehensive apex suite of products. His controller board fried a month ago and left him without all the functionality built into the ecosystem. Auto water changes, temperature control, dosing, timers, all set to either the on or off fallback state......

Oh and $600 for new board!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
With the T5's I went for 2x 80w ATI aquablue special and 2x80w blue plus but I think i need to change one at least to actinic.
with the MH I went for 2x250w Giesemann Megachrome the 21k Version.
My fixture uses double ended globes , I think that is the only difference between the Spectra and the infinity ,
The Lamps are a little more expensive however the Giesemann Megachrome globes are supposed to last 2+ years.....Time will tell.
I like the look you have with all the T5's and MH on, nice and crisp.
Yea I believe the difference is the single ended bulbs and a slightly bigger reflector. I watched a BRS video where they compared the spread and par, the Double ended had higher par while the single ended had more spread. So something for everyone! Haha
I went with the 17K megachrome, 2x blue plus, 2x coral plus.
It's all new to me so keen to play around!

shit can go wrong with anything though. That being said, was chatting with another member on this site who has a fairly comprehensive apex suite of products. His controller board fried a month ago and left him without all the functionality built into the ecosystem. Auto water changes, temperature control, dosing, timers, all set to either the on or off fallback state......

Oh and $600 for new board!
Why I could never buy a controller..
Depending on how many tasks are controlled and however unlikely, one piece of equipment can shut down many pieces and turn a problem into a potential catastrophe.