Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
First Look At Aussie Captive Bred Royal Gramma's (gramma Loreto)
Hey Everyone,

Most of you who know me know that I love to bang on about aquacultured stuff at the best of times, but for me this is something really exciting, We are soon to have captive bred Royal Gramma's commercially available in Australia thanks to the guys across at the Batavia Coast Maritime Institute.

Royal grammas are one of those fish that for me are an absolute must, regardless of tank size and having a steady supply of these available and being captive bred would seem a massive win for aussie reefers.

These guys are wholesale only so you will have to steer your LFS to them to get your hands on them and for the record they also do lots of the normal favorites like designer clowns, bangai, dottybacks and assessors.

For those interested in some of the breeding details, Daniel from Batavia Coast Maritime Institute has provided the below;

"They are really subject to stress around settlement time and I think we lost quite a few due to vacuuming.

It's been a long journey with the grammas mainly due to getting our Broodstock to lay at regular intervals.

We began by collecting larvae in a specially designed larval collector to limit any stress on the pair in case they stopped spawning.

We had limited luck due to transfer into culture tanks but we did manage to settle 2 individuals out of different batches.

From this point we wanted to try something different so we decided to extract the eggs before hatching.

Now our grammas are different to our Dottybacks, Assessors whereby they lay sequential batches of eggs to the same batch...

So the sequential laying gives us on the first day hatch you will have for example 10-20 larvae, the next day you would have 40-50 larvae and the third day roughly the same amount again. We have had up-to 4 days of hatching but generally its 3 days worth. This has occurred with 2 pairs of our Broodstock, the third is yet to lay.

We hatch in a basket with the eggs directly aerated and held midwater. We hatch in glass, 100L tank blacked out with air stones in each corner. Algae paste and clear water is added constantly throughout the run until after settlement.

Copepods within the first feeds and through to settlement has been a must however we do supplement within traditional feeds (enriched large strain rotifers and enriched sep-art Artemia).

We hope the first batch will hit the wholesale market in possibly late July to early August dependant on growth.

The grammas are still currently in the larval nursery area and will be shifted to the grow-out soon once a suitable spot in the raceways has been cleared. We are hoping to keep the gramma as a regular"

Amazing works guys:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship
63d6d5ff-5602-4026-a311-0f8208667a43.jpg
ac03d1bc-a846-44c4-8daf-e48ee0d41655.jpg

9f5570be-36d4-4d57-816e-5ae134b4feb4.jpg
19e5e23b-1e58-4bcd-8e78-215bb0733512.jpg
81560f98-dd6e-40d9-b106-45e46db8a5be.jpg

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They are doing some great work at the Institute.

I have done quite a lot of reading on breeding these fish and I understand how difficult it is, so this is a great result.

I have previously contemplated signing up for one of their aquaculture courses but I suspect it will never happen - Geraldton looks like a nice place :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I had a chat with them earlier this week they seem like such amazing guys and are so cool about things I find astounding.

They have done Lysmata amboinensis up to something like day 80 without even really trying and have what looks to be a hybrid peppermint/blood about to settle at the moment???

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
:worship :worship
This is literally the most awesome thing I've read in a long time!! :D I absolutely know what's making an appearance in my tank now :rofl

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Wonder if they are less aggressive being captive bred (similar to how clowns are) .. always wanted one but was put off by the aggro factor ...well done to the lads at Batavia!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Wonder if they are less aggressive being captive bred (similar to how clowns are) .. always wanted one but was put off by the aggro factor ...well done to the lads at Batavia!
I have had Royal Gramma's in a few of my tanks - the most recent for 5 years before I sold it last weekend - and I have never seen any aggression. I wouldn't put one in with other gramma's or dottyback's but I have not had a problem with a wide range of other fish.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I had a royal dotty back and I think that is the biggest turd of a fish I have ever owned, never had an issue with a gramma.

Closest I have seen to aggression was going up to other fish with its mouth open when they were spawning and the other fish would just plod away like whateva.

But I would be interested in terms of how they are towards themselves. I dont know if you have ever been over Ben's place when he was doing the Orchids and he had like 200 in a 150l tank without so much as a nipped fin, yet you put two wild caught in a tank together and they try and tear each other apart while they are in the bags floating next to each other.

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Certainly looks like they have done a good job rearing them, well done.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The only thing I could see is some loss of purple towards the centre of the body, but that could also be because they are so young.

First generations of aquacultured normally look like they have gone a round with a powerhead, which i think makes these all that more remarkable.