New To Reefing

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Firefish- Sick Or Laying Eggs?
Hi Guys!

We got a firefish this morning from the local store - swapped him as the live rock we purchased had feather stars in it and we didn't feel they were good for our tank - and we are not sure if it is laying eggs or not?
It had a fat belly and now it has clear coming from its bottom.. please advise, pic attached
IMG_2799.JPG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It is not laying eggs. I would guess that it has some type of abdominal issue - probably caused during collection or transportation.

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Oh no! The poor thing

Our water parameters are testing good. (Ammonia 0.02, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 1, Phosphate >0.25, Temp 26, Salinity 1.025, Calcium 400)

We have lost a couple of livestock from that store but the livestock we have had shipped from Perth is doing great. It's really frustrating for us and so sad for the animals.

We had to return the live rock with the Brittle Star as after reading about them we felt they might eat our fish. It was really interesting to find out about them and see it in action.
IMG_2772.JPG

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Pretty much have had those starfish ever since I set up my first reef tank, and even though I thought I had none in my current tank they appear.

Some of us here would love such a fine specimen!!!

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Pretty much have had those starfish ever since I set up my first reef tank, and even though I thought I had none in my current tank they appear.

Some of us here would love such a fine specimen!!!
We would love it too but we are new to reefing and our tank is only 80l

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Brittle stars are primarily scavengers and so I would think that your fish would be safe.

Whilst not a high reading, you don't really want to be seeing any measurable ammonia - what test kits are you using?

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Brittle stars are primarily scavengers and so I would think that your fish would be safe.

Whilst not a high reading, you don't really want to be seeing any measurable ammonia - what test kits are you using?
At the moment the Ammonia test is the Dali feet one which hangs in the tank
As we live in Karratha when we started this journey we were limited as to what was available at the time so we kind of have a 'mixed bag' of brands. Since then I have found a store in Perth which has been very helpful and they put us onto the Red Sea kits- I'm hooked.
We currently have the Refractometer, Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity in the Red Sea and are ordering the others to suit.
I tested our parameters are a little startling after tonight however everything is happy?? I'm feeling a little lost but am also worried our existing test kits are not up to par so I'm a little sceptical about adjustments.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2864.JPG

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@Mott That Alk is sky rocketed; you don't dose, do you? I'm a bit hesitant your Alk is at that level. If it's true, you need to bring that down gradually.

Salinity is a tad low too; you would want to aim for 1.025 ~ 1.026; is your refractometer calibrated?