Reef Discussion

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
fire goby ridiculously shy!
so i got a fire goby about 3 or 4 weeks ago now..and the thing is just so shy its not funny. it hid away in a little cave when i first got it and i thought that was normal when adding a fish to a new tank..but its been a while now and it never leaves the cave, only to feed...i guess its a good thing that its eating normally, but its just such a shame that i never get to enjoy this fish swimming around...i know their a timid fish, and thats why i made sure the other tank mates where friendly..only thing in the tank is a clown and two peppermint shrimp..at first i thought it was too much flow in my tank and thats why it wasn't coming out...but I've come to think that can't be the case cause the flow is the same for the clownfish and the pepps..only thing i can think of atm is that the clown is too dominating and might be intimidating it..im thinking maybe i should add another fire goby and try to pair it up with the one i already got..but i don't know..anyone got any tips? cause i really wanna be able to sit and watch it swim around.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hey mate. they are a very sedate fish. im not surprised that it hides. i have an orchid dottyback with the same attributes. it is starting to become more active now after 6 months? but i still only see it for an hour of the day or so!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would just give it some time to settle in. When I first got mine it went straight under a rock and would only come out at feeding time. Then it went for about 3 weeks without coming out at all - I had given it up for dead. Then it went back to only coming out to feed. After about 6 months it is now out most of the time - they are a great little fish and worth perservering with :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
A trio would be better than one. Safety in numbers for these shy fish.
I gave up on these age ago, They were easily my favorite fish, their shape and colour are wicked. I could never keep them longer than a month.