Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Feeding
Hi I am back again, has anyone used two little fish marine snow for this corals?if so what do you think of it?how much and how often should i feed?I am having a problem with nitrates, may be over feeding fish and corals

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Susan. If you are having issues with nitrate i would suggest reducing the amount of feeds you do..and increase your WC.
Adding coral food type products will only increase your problems.
Remember that your corals feed off many other things. I would only add coral food if you run a low nutrient tank.
Just my 2 cents.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi Susan. If you are having issues with nitrate i would suggest reducing the amount of feeds you do..and increase your WC.
Adding coral food type products will only increase your problems.
Remember that your corals feed off many other things. I would only add coral food if you run a low nutrient tank.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. I have been doing water changes at least once a week not sure if i am over feeding my fish,I worry they are hungry , I have 2 rather large tangs,2 clown fish, 4 chromis 1 flame angle 1 yellow wrasse and 1 damsel 1 anemone and 1 clam 2 sand star fish and 8 snail. I have cut the food back to 1&1/2 cube of frozen brine shrimp at night and 2 pinches of grain in the morning and 1/2 a sheet of seaweed for the tangs, is this 2 much or not enough, and i give the anemone very small piece of prawn 3 times a week

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks. I have been doing water changes at least once a week not sure if i am over feeding my fish,I worry they are hungry , I have 2 rather large tangs,2 clown fish, 4 chromis 1 flame angle 1 yellow wrasse and 1 damsel 1 anemone and 1 clam 2 sand star fish and 8 snail. I have cut the food back to 1&1/2 cube of frozen brine shrimp at night and 2 pinches of grain in the morning and 1/2 a sheet of seaweed for the tangs, is this 2 much or not enough, and i give the anemone very small piece of prawn 3 times a week
Brine shrimp has very little nutritional value. I would swap your brine shrimp out for Mysis or Spirralina brine.

I'm with Leslie. Newly hatched brine shrimp, fed into the tank withis 24hrs of hatching, are great. Any other version is useless as the only nutrition in brine shrimp is in the egg sac of newly hatched shrimp. After 24hrs the shrimp has consumed the egg sac itself.

So while many fish love it (mine do), in the end dried brine shrimp is little more than a pollutant in a marine tank.:(