Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Feeding Fish, Over And Underfeeding - Am I Overfeeding?
Hey all,

This is something that I haven't asked of cared to investigate before, But i have been thinking that it might be about time i do.

So at the moment, I feed my fish and inverts (A clown and a bicolour blenny, two peppermint shrimps, two hermits) of a morning Ocean Nutrition pellets - I feed them (the fish) one by one until they aren't interested, usually about 2-3 each and then of a night I feed them brine shrimp administered by a syringe... about 6 brine at a time until no one is interested in the residual brine floating around the tank.

What do you feed your fish?

Also, today I think I accidentally overfed the fish, probably double what i normally would... will this be a problem? or will one time be okay?

Thanks all!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Geez. Ok. Well I over feed my tank a lot. They have seaweed clips x 3 at about 8am. 2 with nori 1 with chateau. Midday 1 frozen spiralina brine just defrosted & thrown in. 6 pm. 1 mysis 1 brine. 9pm flakes or granules & nori rubberbanded to a rock. No wonder I have to change rowa every 4 weeks. But my phos is never allowed above 0.03.

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
I don't think I overfeed but I do feed a fairly wide variety. They get fed in the morning and in the evening but I feed mysid with spirulina, Ocean nutrition marine mix, lobster eggs, fish eggs, cockles, prawn pieces sometimes and so forth. Then they have Sea Veggies as well plus fresh macro from the sump.

I actually never feed pellets. I probably should.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
When i used to keep cichlids, my idea was be mean and keep them keen.

But with my reef tank and the fish, they are my children - I must ensure ample food.

I was thinking about introducing a seaweed clip... thoughts?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I don't think I overfeed but I do feed a fairly wide variety. They get fed in the morning and in the evening but I feed mysid with spirulina, Ocean nutrition marine mix, lobster eggs, fish eggs, cockles, prawn pieces sometimes and so forth. Then they have Sea Veggies as well plus fresh macro from the sump.

I actually never feed pellets. I probably should.
Ok so the consensus i am getting is that i might need to feed my fish more... lol...

I am thinking lobster eggs and sea weed?!

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Variety is the spice of life for fish I reckon. Ocean Nutrition do a great variety of foods and nice quality too.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Ok so the consensus i am getting is that i might need to feed my fish more... lol...

I am thinking lobster eggs and sea weed?!
As long as you stay happy with water quality then feed more !!! I think variety helps with health & colour. Seaweed clip is a great idea as if hungry they can eat if not they don't. clips last about 2 mins in my tank - gone. Lol

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
I think your right about feeding the fish more.

I'm finding the Ocean free pro marine pellets to be really good and bringing out good colours in fish.

And never can go wrong with having a seaweed clip in the tank.

And Lesley is right a fat fish is a happy fish and what's an extra water change or rows phos at the end of the day