Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Fathead Sunburst Anthias - Recipe For Success?
For those that have kept Fathead Anthias and believe they able to maintain them, what is your recipe?

How many times do you feed them on daily basis? Frozen mysis?

aencrypted_tbn2_gstatic_com_images_5ae1d3b86bf310c8cd9ebf696cdd6755._.jpg

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'm following this because I was about to buy one until I read up about their care. Thought I'd leave them to the experts.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Few contradicting theories about this small EXPENSIVE fish:
  • They say keep them in group; they are schooling fish. Some said they are not and they'll fight if not introduced at the same time and different sizes.
  • They say they're peaceful but then some say they will attack same species.

I have no personal experience but this is a fairly detailed article on this fish - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/7/fish
Thanks for the info!

For those reefers that have experienced keeping them in captivity, please share your experience.

My only concern at this stage is about water quality. I've been feeding like maniac (the intention is for the first 3 days), when I said maniac-like, it's like 3 frozen cubes (morning, arvo & evening) plus flakes in 55g tank. Normally, it's 0 cube & just scheduled release of flakes (again, morning, arvo & evening).

4 fish: Kole tang, 2 Clowns & 1 Fathead.

My plan is to do water change shortly as I may have jeopardized the water quality.

There is an oversized skimmer.

For those that feed your tank heavily, do you do water change twice a week?

Or am I over thinking this ...

Last edited:

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
I've kept them until lost from velvet after 6 months or so, but not to hard to keep, 2-3 feeds a day is enough.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
I mix feed pellets mysis and brine. Tank was 150x70x50cm. Did weekly 40l water change but ran zeovit so nutrients were never a problem.

You should try feeding half cubes at a time so u don't pollute your water

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Ok a quick update on the fathead, after a series of short period of lighting and heavy feed regime (3 Mysis Cubes per day), it doesn't hide anymore.

The aggressiveness is also cut down a bit. The Kole is now bit accepting it.

Would you call this bully? When they come in close contact (Kole 《》 Anthias & Clowns 《》 Anthias), they *sort of* stare at the Anthias and looks like it want to bite the Anthias, but it stop there. They don't actively and aggressively chase it down. Is this a bully? The Anthias is still happy go lucky and swim in its space.

I have a new fish syndrome i know. After spending $$$ on this fish, I want the best for it.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Update: they live happily side-by-side now :D

Nothing I love more than putting a new fish (after due diligence of researching whether they are compatible with the existing inhabitants) and they co-exist with one another. #relief