Help / Suggestions

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
email alerts - keep them coming
Hey thereefuge,

I love the email alerts when a post has been made to a topic I am watching.

In facts the alerts are so good I don't need to go to the site.

HOWEVER......

I find I need to revisit the site just to continue getting alerts. (subsquent posts to the thread after I've been alerted and emailed to me)

Any chance we could make an update to alert me everytime there is a new post on a watched topic rather than 1 alert, which forces me to visit the page before I get any more?

Hope this makes sense.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi macca_75,

I do not think this will be possible to do without deeply changing the core of the alerts system. I will try to explain it as best I can.

If you are watching a topic, and there are 500 replies to the topic it will e-mail you once saying there have been replies. Once you check, it recognises that you have now potentially read all of the replies. Once there is another or multiple replies it will e-mail you saying the topic has been updated. This means you have 2 e-mails in your inbox. The first is from when the first 500 replies were made, and the second was when the next 500 replies were made AFTER you checked the original 500 replies.

If it alerted you for every single reply made, this would mean you received 500 e-mails in your inbox linking you to the same topic. Once you read the updated topic, it will then send you another 500 e-mails linking you to the same topic. This means that as opposed to receiving 2 e-mails (the first after your first check, and the second after your second check), you are now recieving 1000 e-mails letting you know that there have been replies.

The forum knows what you have (potentially) viewed and tracks it. This is why receiving an alert every time someone posts is not efficient. I can look into it for you if you like, but I can't see it being a quick and easy job. Please let me know and I will get back to you about the work that will be involved of if you are indeed still interested.

Also as part of the tracking system (I am not sure if you are aware), but when you click on any topic on the forum, it will automatically take you to the first unread post within that topic (as it knows you potentially read the previous replies).

If I have misunderstood what you have said, please let me know.

Thanks.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
All understand and thanks.

500 emails (or 1000 if thats how many updates there are) is what I am after. That way I can keep abreast of all activity in the forum without having to visit it each time I get an email. If I read the email but don't visit the site I don't get subsequent emails (until I visit that thread again).

Anyway, it was a wish. If it's to hard (or other people don't want to be "spammed" with updates) thats cool.

Thanks for replying.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I am the opposite I HATE getting emails for updated topics and I would throw my laptop into the wall if I kept getting emails for every single reply lol. Surely its easier just to jump on the site?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Wh
I am the opposite I HATE getting emails for updated topics and I would throw my laptop into the wall if I kept getting emails for every single reply lol. Surely its easier just to jump on the site?
Why don't you stop watching the thread(s)? or remove them from the "Watched Threads"?

Or are you saying you'd like 1, but only 1 email

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have it set that I only get email alerts for PM's, I use the alerts here on the forum to see if any threads are updated or I mostly use the "latest posts" to get updated. But of course everyone will have a way that they prefer :)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
All understand and thanks.

500 emails (or 1000 if thats how many updates there are) is what I am after. That way I can keep abreast of all activity in the forum without having to visit it each time I get an email. If I read the email but don't visit the site I don't get subsequent emails (until I visit that thread again).

Anyway, it was a wish. If it's to hard (or other people don't want to be "spammed" with updates) thats cool.

Thanks for replying.
Hi macca_75,

I will look further into this for you and hopefully be able to set something up. However, as a side note, it is not good for the growth of this site if people do not visit it.

Thanks.