Reef Discussion

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Hardiest mofos around in my tanks. They are my canary of nutrient deficiency as they start peeling off the skeleton when things at a trace element level are worn down or if heat is out. Water change and adding some trace they come back as good as new. They also don't mind being hacked up to hell. Recently lost one I'd had for 10+ years during summer which was a real kick in the guts...

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Never had a problem with mine. It just sits on the sand and I don't do a thing to it.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Love my elegance it's my hardiest coral. Had it on the sand for a while and then let it hang half way up the rocks and that's when it really took off. Brilliant coral.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Also, local elegances don't suffer from long shipping stress, which contributes to their survival rate.
When I was a reefer overseas, they would rarely survive more than 6 months.

My Elegance care tips are:
- Avoid direct flow in the tissue and very strong flow in general.
- Make sure skeleton is fixed, either with glue or stuck in substrate and flow won't move it when they inflate.
- Make sure they won't be touched by more aggressive LPS, such as hammer, bubble and galaxea.
- They do well in nutrient poor, but grow much faster in nutrient rich waters.
- No need to target feed, but they accept it well.
- They do well in both low and high light.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Loved mine! As above super hardy.

Only got rid of it because the blardy hermit wouldn't wouldn't it alone!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Also, local elegances don't suffer from long shipping stress, which contributes to their survival rate.
When I was a reefer overseas, they would rarely survive more than 6 months.

My Elegance care tips are:
- Avoid direct flow in the tissue and very strong flow in general.
- Make sure skeleton is fixed, either with glue or stuck in substrate and flow won't move it when they inflate.
- Make sure they won't be touched by more aggressive LPS, such as hammer, bubble and galaxea.
- They do well in nutrient poor, but grow much faster in nutrient rich waters.
- No need to target feed, but they accept it well.
- They do well in both low and high light.
Agree on all points

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I'm not thinking about getting one but the latest BRS 160 webisode got me reading about Elegance Corals.

Have you ever kept one? Care to share your experience with the Reefuge crowd?

I had the most beautiful looking one for more than 12 months, last week started peeling of the rock and then got brown jelly disease, so I cut him in half and dipped him and hoping