Reef Discussion

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Eibli Angel and Acan frag
Had my little angel about 2 weeks now and he is really starting to get comfotable with me around the tank, would never come out now he has no problem in swimming around when my hand is in there. Problem is, I got an acan frag yesterday and he has taken a REAL liking to it. As soon as I put it in he was sniffing around now he has picked at it a few times. Its in the sump at the moment but has anyone had any problems like this? I know they can be coral nippers but he wont touch my hammers, SPS, Goni or Xenia??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think you are going to have to make a choice between the angel and some corals. It may be that it will only have a go at the acan's - I doubt that you will be able to change its habits.

Dwarf angels can be problematic - some are perfect reef citizens and some will nibble at all your corals ;)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Magic summed it up really well.
I was lucky enough to pick up a Flame and a Coral Beauty from a guy who shut hit tank down. They were both in an LPS predominant tank.
It can be hit and miss with the dwarfs :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what alot of people do is buy a big cheap piece of acans and stick it in there so that they eat them instead. usually stops the picking at the other ones

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Cheers guys, don't know what I'm Gunna do yet. My coral beauty never picked. The frag is now in the sump to heal haha

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
I think im going to take me eibli back, even though hes such a great fish. I hate having to take them back! he just started getting comfortable haha. ow well. I want ultra grade acans so if im gunna spend the money on that I cant have a picker thats gunna kill them. o u think most pygmy angels will be the same?(flame, coral beauty etc)

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I think im going to take me eibli back, even though hes such a great fish. I hate having to take them back! he just started getting comfortable haha. ow well. I want ultra grade acans so if im gunna spend the money on that I cant have a picker thats gunna kill them. o u think most pygmy angels will be the same?(flame, coral beauty etc)

Stay away from any angel if you want acans or LPS> It comes down to the individual fish (some are fine, others not) but buying them, trying them in your tank and returning them will soon get you offside with both your wallet and the LFS.

It really does pay to do the research first and avoid the impulse buys. I know it is hard, but in the long run it is worth it.

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Yeh thats the last thing I want to do, I buy fish and animals with the intention of keeping them for the long term. I had a coral beauty before and he was well behaved, and this little guy was fine with everything else except the acan which is the first one I have ever had. I guess I will have to rethink what I want now, but angels are just so nice! ahh the joys of reef keeping.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I run angels (both dwarf and larger 1's) but I just go with corals they dont eat, the less meaty 1's.
You just need to decide which you like more......lol

Fish or the corals!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
o u think most pygmy angels will be the same?(flame, coral beauty etc)
That, my friend, is a question that none of us can answer ;)

A lot would depend on what they have been eating before they were caught - you may have a bit more certainty with a juvenile which does not have well developed eating habits.

I have previously kept a coral beauty which was no problem and I am sure there are numerous accounts where dwarf angels have not bothered corals but there are probably a similar number of accounts where they have eaten everything in site.

It will always be a gamble. Sorry I couldn't give you any more confidence.

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Yeh I feared that would be the case. I still want LPS and I dont wana be takuing fish back all the time. yehp, people will always say they have success with thing, like a blue tang in a 30 gal or whatever haha. I had a coral beauty that was a model citzen but it is a lottery i guess. I would rather just not risk it instead of trying and failing. thanks for the input guys