Help / Suggestions

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

Good catch. Actually, the edit button is not meant to work at all for anyone. This is to prevent people from changing what they previously said. If a mistake is made, simply repost and if you really need to notify a moderator to merge your posts.

Thanks.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hi everyone,

Good catch. Actually, the edit button is not meant to work at all for anyone. This is to prevent people from changing what they previously said. If a mistake is made, simply repost and if you really need to notify a moderator to merge your posts.

Thanks.
i agree and disagree with this.

what about when people want to edit the first post of their TJ? or update the first post of a thread? (this happens multiple times a day from a variety of members me included)

opinions?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
i agree and disagree with this.

what about when people want to edit the first post of their TJ? or update the first post of a thread? (this happens multiple times a day from a variety of members me included)

opinions?
I'm with MTG - while I understand the general point of trying to avoid people being able to change things later, the idea of them not being able to edit their own posts is too restrictive (though allowing non-members and one post wonders to edit probably not necessary).
Expecting a person to repost if they cock up is problematic if there are posts after the original post, and that will throw the whole thread out of whack. I don't see how the risk associated with allowing people to edit their own posts outweighs the benefit.

There was an example of this yesterday where vpreef made a post with a fair amount of ambiguity about the LFS he had issues with; reading it in context of a whole thread would lead one to a different conclusion on who he was talking about than reading that post (or last couple) in isolation.
By the time I pointed out this ambiguity, there were other responses to him. In that case, deleting the post and reposting throws out the thread. At least with the edit ability he was able to clarify in the original post specifically who he was talking about.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

With the introduction of the Tank Journals feature members will have no need to update their first post. This is expected to be released this year. As buddy23 said, a five minute edit time will be fine for general edits.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Sounds very 'nanny state' to me. Surely what I post is my content, and I have the right to edit it as I see fit?

Seriously, what scenarios do you see this restriction being beneficial?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Sounds very 'nanny state' to me. Surely what I post is my content, and I have the right to edit it as I see fit?

Seriously, what scenarios do you see this restriction being beneficial?

There have been times members have said something, a reply has been made, and them member changed what they said. Given it is not said often, however a 10 minute edit time should be enough to fix any errors.

The content you post is content of The Reefuge. You give The Reefuge non-exclusive rights to do what we like with the content. It is in the terms and conditions of using the site. Many times in other forums that I have been an administrator of a disgruntled user will ask for their account to be closed and all of their posts wiped out. This, as you know, is extremely bad for the site as threads are basically rendered unusable at that point.

To prevent the information on The Reefuge from being torn apart, it is agreed upon by the member that whatever they post, The Reefuge is allowed to copy and distribute it anyway we see fit. Although the content remains yours, you wave the right to ask for it to be taken down.

We may install something that will still allow users to edit their posts, but it will record the edit versus the original. That way if a fight ever breaks out we have the original to work with. This may prove a better system. That way both users can edit as much as they like, but we record everything from the back.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi K&J Aquatics,

Yes, I believe this is correct. A better idea will be to allow editing to carry on as usual. However, we will start logging all edits made to posts, so that way should the need arise we have all versions of the posts. This will allow honest members to edit their posts, but keep us informed of what is going on.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello chimaera,

I am yet to decide on it. Right now I am thinking only mods and admins. Can you also please add me as your friend (click my name and then click on "add friend"), I would like to have a quick chat to you about some upcoming things and would like your input.

Thanks.