Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Eagle Eye Zoanthids - Different Colony Colour
This may apply to other Zoas too but this is my observation:
  • The mother colony has green frills (orange and blue inside) ... just how EE should be.
  • They've branched out to the LRs .. but this is the funny bit ....
  • The branched colony in the LRs don't have green frills ..
Do you know why?

Has there been previous discussion/research in regards to this subject?

awww.coralbiome.com_store_4687_home_zoanthus_sp_eagle_eye_zoa_indo.jpg

Attachments

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I find the green frills come out under higher intensity UV exposure, so it may just be the rocks they have moved to are a little shaded.

I had a customer complain at one stage the picture I represented them with had green frills and the colony they received did not. On inspection the lights i had them under the UV led emitters had gone black. Fixing the light fixed the green frills.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
hmmm ... doesn't look like the UV exposure (in my case) because those that branched out from the mother colony are practically just few cm away and no shading ...

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
The other thing I also notice is new / young zoas can take time to reach their full adult colours. Its quite pronounced in the ones I sell as chameleon as this pic shows. But i have also noticed this in a few others so could well be the case with eagle eyes. You can see with the Chameleon not only does the center change colour but the green rim develops.

aoceanarium.com.au_admin_photos_IMGP5205.JPG

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@Oceanarium that could be it ! I'm leaning towards this but just have to see if that's the case ... so only time will tell.

thanks for your feedback!

who's zoas frag kings in Australia btw folks? someone who's aquaculturing? am interested in getting some if the price is right.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Mine are different colurs when throwing new heads. Take a while to colour up depending on the species aswell.
Fraggalicious, Coral Creations, Oceanarium and Ultra Corals Australia aquaculture zoas

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Who is the frag king? my guess would be oceanarium or Matt Richards in sydney, but i've been out of the game for awhile so there may be others that have taken up the zoa frag fest.